Older insert identification?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
wjbcrr.jpg

Someone who knows we are buying an insert has sweetly offered us this one (for free). I am certain it's not EPA certified, but I also have a feeling it may even be "unlisted" and with our close clearances and flush hearth I am certain this would not be a possibility for us even if we were not concerned about the EPA issue. However, I figured since I had the pics I might as well put them up and see if anyone has any ideas. I certainly haven't seen anything that looks much like this so far. I'm guessing it at about 20-25 yrs old maybe? The pics have a very hard ray of sunlight coming in, I am pretty sure that's gold colored trim around the surround.

Any ideas? The doors appear to have glass in them and there's a screen sitting in front of them in the pic, that can be put in front if the doors are open. I am just trying to find out what I can about it because someone keeps insisting "but it would be FREE!" I;m not intending to get it but want to be informed when I tell them why it won't work!

Welcome to old stove depot. The Englander was a world better.

BeGreen said:
Welcome to old stove depot. The Englander was a world better.
I know, the Englander is an EPA stove, and it had manuals where I could figure out if it would work or not, and this one is a giant question mark which I am sure must not be an EPA certified stove. I just keep insisting this one won't work, but not knowing what it is I am having a hard time convincing (my dad!)

Free is a great deal for them. I would charge three hundred to haul it out of the fireplace and to the scrap yard.

Tick, you are going in reverse here. I would tell your dad it is a Smoke Dragon that was made in the early 80's and is not an acceptable heating appliance for your hearth. If you accept that insert you might as well just install it as a slammer because it fails code for everything else.

Just give it up for this year and wait till spring-summer to buy an acceptable stove and install it correctly.

I'll do you one better Tick, that Sierra 5300 has been listed again, the one that was brand new that was $999. Call the guy and work something out. Yea its a drive and not free, but it is a heck of a deal at that price ($750) for brand new!

If I recall correctly it is a pedestal, but I think you can buy the surround from SPI to convert it to an insert.

http://www.empireproductsinc.com/images/pdfs/manuals/sierra/sierra_installation_5300.pdf

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/hsh/1517807314.html

Hey y'all. Thanks for the help and sorry about the false alarms - we are pretty much set on the Lopi we picked out to buy new, just haven't had a weekend to actually do it. In the meantime I'm reassuring myself that it's the thing to do by looking at the stuff that won't work for me on craigslist. Dad threw a monkey wrench in by trying to convince me about the stove pictured here - I already knew it wasn't what I need but just told him I would give it a shot to figure out what it was and figured that any information you all could give me would probably reinforce what I already suspected. (which it has).

Mellow, TY too but I think I had issues with some clearances on the Sierra. I have kinda tight ones which makes it even more important (as I keep telling my dad) to know I am getting a stove that has all that info available before bringing another giant stove home - made that mistake already!
So again, thanks all - just getting independent verification that this is a smoke dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.