Older stoves vs modern stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Itslay90

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2022
Upstate,NY
Another person smoking crack $1,700 for an older stove is crazy, when we have a lot of modern stoves now and that’s more efficient!!

IMG_3982.pngIMG_3985.pngIMG_3983.png

no interior pics? amateur seller / restorer.
obviously way overpriced

Reactions: Itslay90
I’ve seen lots of over priced smoke dragons like that around here, must be people buying them and it probably seems like a deal when your looking at the current prices of the new stoves at $3-5k!

I’ve seen baffles in them. Not that that’s be too intimidating to replace.

Guy probably counting on being haggled with. That stove has heated a lot of homes through out the years. Some people swear by them. Some don't like the catalyst and reburn systems (understand them). One of my friends still uses that same stove and loves it. Simplicity at it's best. Maybe $5-700 in the fall of the year if interior is good shape.

Reactions: Itslay90 and Todd
Most of the old stoves were very radiant compared to new stoves that are mostly shielded. Maybe the heat transfer efficiency is higher with the old stoves while combustion efficiency is higher with the new stoves?

Most of the old stoves were very radiant compared to new stoves that are mostly shielded. Maybe the heat transfer efficiency is higher with the old stoves while combustion efficiency is higher with the new stoves?
Higher btu output possible absolutely but higher heat transfer efficiency no absolutely not they waste a much higher percentage of the available btus out the chimney.

Higher btu output possible absolutely but higher heat transfer efficiency no absolutely not they waste a much higher percentage of the available btus out the chimney.
I would assume that stove pipe temps confirm this. The hotter the gasses leaving thru the stove pipe, the more heat is leaving the house unused and un transferred to the house interior.

My jotul 3 (no baffle or cat) used to spike the stove pipe thermometer often. The jotul f400 (secondary burner) has much better control on flue temps. It also cruises better and smokes much much less at lower burn rates.