Supreme Novo vs MF Nova vs Osburn Inspire - which as the least smoke rollout?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LittleMissMessy

Oct 29, 2023
Colorado
I like the look of a modern stove but I don't want a smokey home and it seems the MF Nova has issues with smoke roll-out when trying to add wood. I also think the lack of air control will drive my husband crazy. Does anyone have a modern wood stove they absolutely love?

The Inspire requires the use of a tool to open and close the door. The Matrix is a very similar design but has a handle. Something to consider if it will get used a lot. The Drolet Deco Alto also has the same firebox as these 2 at a lower price.

Other options I'd consider:
Pacific Energy Neo
Blaze King Chinook

Smoke rollout has more to do with the chimney setup and the air pressure balance in the home. The operator also has a tremendous effect on if smoke rolls out of the stove into the house.

Tell us a bit more about the area being heated, floorplan, and the house.

The Inspire requires the use of a tool to open and close the door. The Matrix is a very similar design but has a handle. Something to consider if it will get used a lot. The Drolet Deco Alto also has the same firebox as these 2 at a lower price.

Other options I'd consider:
Pacific Energy Neo
Blaze King Chinook

Smoke rollout has more to do with the chimney setup and the air pressure balance in the home. The operator also has a tremendous effect on if smoke rolls out of the stove into the house.
Thank you.

Tell us a bit more about the area being heated, floorplan, and the house.
Thank you. The house is 2100 sq ft but the woodstove will be at one end of an open living/dining/kitchen area in a very large alcove. I am thinking a blower would be a nice addition. We will be building at 7500 ft but this won't be the primary heat source. I went to a local woodstove store and was incredible unimpressed with their sales reps. Two people tried to help me at once. They told me I didn't need an ash tray as it was a waste of money. They tried to steer me towards Hearthstone and Jotul even tho I said I wanted a modern stove. They also said I should just get a ceiling fan and not bother with a blower. So I went back online and started watching the videos from Embers. I don't know Blaze King or the other manufacturer but I will look into those as well.

Thank you. The house is 2100 sq ft but the woodstove will be at one end of an open living/dining/kitchen area in a very large alcove. I am thinking a blower would be a nice addition. We will be building at 7500 ft but this won't be the primary heat source. I went to a local woodstove store and was incredible unimpressed with their sales reps. Two people tried to help me at once. They told me I didn't need an ash tray as it was a waste of money. They tried to steer me towards Hearthstone and Jotul even tho I said I wanted a modern stove. They also said I should just get a ceiling fan and not bother with a blower. So I went back online and started watching the videos from Embers. I don't know Blaze King or the other manufacturer but I will look into those as well.
Do you have alcove dimensions fixed yet? Knowing those might change your stove choice.

Reactions: LittleMissMessy
Do you have alcove dimensions fixed yet? Knowing those might change your stove choice.
Yes - it's going to be 10 ft wide and 3 ft deep. Or maybe 3.5 I have to check the floor plan. It should be fairly large. The idea was to maybe had a bench nearby. The ceiling height is 10 ft.

Reactions: EbS-P
Yes - it's going to be 10 ft wide and 3 ft deep. Or maybe 3.5 I have to check the floor plan. It should be fairly large. The idea was to maybe had a bench nearby. The ceiling height is 10 ft.
That’s plenty big for any stove!!

Here is my take on modern looking stoves. Most are wide and shallow meaning you must load your wood east west as we say. It’s just not as efficient use of space because logs can roll onto the glass. Really any 2+ cu fit stove will work for you as supplemental heat. If wanted longer burn times then a bigger stove is in order.

Read up in catalytic vs non cat stoves. Buying in looks needs to be balanced by function.

Reactions: LittleMissMessy