On the List

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This cherry is on the list to come down, getting worse each year. This cherry also has a heavy lean over the trail, this is just down from todays work.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4325.jpg
    100_4325.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 352
  • 100_4326.jpg
    100_4326.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 347
  • 100_4327.jpg
    100_4327.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 340
Ouch. I know what you mean Zap.Had this nasty old twin Red Oak snag about 10 ft north of main trail to western boundary of parents acreage.Watched it for a year or so,figured the strong storms last winter & spring would bring it down,didnt happen.Finally dropped it in mid June.5 other bad ones in scattered spots were taken down since then.Just 1 more monster to go,its leaning at a 45* angle,partly uprooted from a bank along the ravine,its top hooked in another upright snag.Gonna be fun,will have to cut the smaller upright one part way through & get the heck outta there before the bigger one comes down on top of me.I may just wait for Spring,gonna have to think it through some more.Kept hoping the wind would bring it down 4-5 yrs ago (its over 50 ft from where any people are walking),but its still up.

Well you don't have to worry abut which way it's going to fall.
Looks like some good size wood in it too.

Thistle said:
Ouch. I know what you mean Zap.Had this nasty old twin Red Oak snag about 10 ft north of main trail to western boundary of parents acreage.Watched it for a year or so,figured the strong storms last winter & spring would bring it down,didnt happen.Finally dropped it in mid June.5 other bad ones in scattered spots were taken down since then.Just 1 more monster to go,its leaning at a 45* angle,partly uprooted from a bank along the ravine,its top hooked in another upright snag.Gonna be fun,will have to cut the smaller upright one part way through & get the heck outta there before the bigger one comes down on top of me.I may just wait for Spring,gonna have to think it through some more.Kept hoping the wind would bring it down 4-5 yrs ago (its over 50 ft from where any people are walking),but its still up.

I'm not much for (what would smokin say) hangin in the pocket (not sure if thats correct) on these, the nice thing is my escape route is a nice long trail! :snake:

zap

bogydave said:
Well you don't have to worry abut which way it's going to fall.
Looks like some good size wood in it too.

Should be a good drop, it's a average size cherry for this lot. Still have five more cherry (two that are down) and three that need to be dropped after this.

zap

Looks like you should perhaps hurry zap or Mother Nature will do the job for you before you get to it.

Backwoods Savage said:
Looks like you should perhaps hurry zap or Mother Nature will do the job for you before you get to it.

I have some rounds left in that area from this weekends cherry so next week I will drop that then buck it up then haul it out.

Looks like that hung up Hemlock will get a few tugs from the old GMC next weekend.

zap

Zap, we have a couple inches of snow in the forecast. Get ready; its coming your way too.....maybe.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, we have a couple inches of snow in the forecast. Get ready; its coming your way too.....maybe.

We are due for some snow, give us enough time to take care of the nasty Hemlock that is hung up then send the biggest storm you want.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.