One good lookin' chimney!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hass

Minister of Fire
Mar 20, 2011
Alabama, NY
Thought I would share, since everyone loves to post chimney pictures!

WP_000204.jpg

closer..
WP_000205.jpg

WP_000208.jpg

near the ceiling
WP_000209.jpg

right side
WP_000207.jpg

left side
WP_000210.jpg

Needless to say it's one of the first things I'm tackling this year, in 2 weeks... along with a complete gut of all the rooms near it that I didn't get to last year.
I've no idea how long it's been like that, since I bought it last year knowing about this from the start.
My hope was that it wouldn't come down before I get to it.
I thought about wrapping it in chains, mortaring it, but figured I don't care too much for it, and it looks TERRIBLE on the outside of the house.

I'm looking forward to pics of the work in progress. That is a mess!

i think there may be somewhere on this site that encourages posting pics of bad work and dangerous conditions. definitely a candidate for there!

Wow, that looks like lightning struck it. What is the composition of this chimney?

Great spider webs, they look straight out of Hollywood. Clean the attic out completely after replacing this problem and consider adding a lot of insulation.

Little bit of mortar on the outside and she'll be as good as new . . . and yes . . . I am joking.

firefighterjake said:
Little bit of mortar on the outside and she'll be as good as new . . . and yes . . . I am joking.

+1 but may want to mix up a double batch!

It may have been a chimney at one time in the past, but that's no longer an applicable term for this pile of rubble. Rick

BeGreen said:
Wow, that looks like lightning struck it. What is the composition of this chimney?

Great spider webs, they look straight out of Hollywood. Clean the attic out completely after replacing this problem and consider adding a lot of insulation.

Poured concrete seems to be the composition, and yes... First thing I thought when I looked up in the attic during a walk through was that a ginormous spider was going to come down from the web and eat me alive if I went up there. Definitely in the plans, there's currently have about 4 inches of insulation. (although, I think it's all dust actually, if that counts) Then maybe another 2 feet of rubbish, so that's gotta be like R-60 all together, right?

It's all coming down when the ceiling comes down, so doesn't matter to me :] Easy way to clean the attic I think!

Since you guys enjoyed the first pictures so much heres a few more quick ones... Sorry for the cheesy quality.
I really wish you guys could see the way the chimney looks on the outside, I may actually grab my real camera from my parents some time to take one.

CameraCapture-a68fa300-b7c9-47fd-9409-b08b47c6f277.jpg

Yes, there's 3 different depth walls right there.
WP_000213.jpg

and a good fit here for sure, to think someone actually paid a company $1200 to install this furnace and they left it like this.
They may have been terrible at keeping up on their house work, but they sure did keep all their receipts.
WP_000214.jpg

My insurance company would have refused to insure the house. They actually came out and inspected my "new" house before they'd insure it. Two separate times! The first guy just walked around the house and got back in his car. I asked him if that was all he was going to do, and he said all he had to do was make sure it was fully enclosed, with roof and windows and doors. Some people were insuring shacks, then collecting when they burned down. The second guy wanted to see the inside of the house, and looked at the furnace and electrical panels, etc. There had been an incident with a broken window a few years earlier, but that "didn't count because no claim was made." So, there is a data base somewhere about homeowners' claims!
With our current house, only one guy came out, and he walked around the outside and down to the barn. It's quite uphill coming back, and he was a large guy on a hot day - we thought he was going to stroke out! He was huffing and puffing, and talking to himself as he walked to his car. The company also wanted to see the inspection report.
I've never made a homeowner's claim. I suppose this is how they reduce fraud, but it seems a bit much to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.