One man's bad luck is my good luck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
My neighbor had an elm tree come down on his house. Luckily there was only gutter damage (until the tree guys dropped a dead ash on the roof). Anyway, I told him it was primo firewood and he said I could have it all because I burned for heat and he didn't. It'll probably be half to 3/4 of a cord when it's done but I've never had elm so this will be fun in a couple of years.

f v

Nice score! I had a similar thing happen near me, but the tree did not hit any structures.Ended up with 4.5 cords of red oak. Hope your neighbors house is not damaged too bad!

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Anyway, I told him it was primo firewood and he said I could have it all because I burned for heat and he didn't.

You mean your neighbor burns wood for ambience but not for heat? In an Ohio winter?

i love elm :) My splitter eats it up! My chainsaw does not, as the bark has so much dirt in it.

Nice score! I had a similar thing happen near me, but the tree did not hit any structures.Ended up with 4.5 cords of red oak. Hope your neighbors house is not damaged too bad!

Not too bad, ended up being around $2,000 to fix with the gutters.

I like burning elm. The fibrous strands catch really quickly in the stove. As a bonus, my kinetic splitter slices right through it, in comparison to a hydraulic splitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started cutting it tonight and so far I have on trailer full, 8' trailer and we haven't gotten to the main trunk. I may have closer to a cord but we'll see when I get it split. I also had a small ash brought down this afternoon which will be half a cord at best.

fv