One month of hell, 10 trees, 1 leaner and nothing but Silver and Gold, "Priceless".

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jimosufan said:
looks great. Anyone ever look at all the work they accomplish , and think, If their were only 2 of me?

There used to be 3 of me at 18-20,2 at 30 & now just me at 47.That's what working construction full time for 27 yrs & 30 yrs part-time in the woods wil do to ya :lol: Now I do what I can in a day,somedays thats 4-5 hrs steady,other days its 8,those real killer days its 3 hrs max.

smokinjay said:
First time I meet her she said that she was a tree hugger! :cheese: Wasnt sure how to hide the 15 cords and chainsaw shop so I ask what exactly is a tree hugger and I may need to grab more beer...lol

haha sounds like she agrees with you now. ;-)

Jaugust124 said:
stejus,
Just out of curiosity, and maybe this is a stupid question, but what is that red vehicle pulling the cart? Looks like a cross between a rear engine mower without the deck and an old folks scooter.
Nice job on the wood by the way.

Jaugust124 - The red machine pulling the trailer is a Simplicty Zero Turn Mower with the mower deck removed. It's 14hp with a ton of torque and easy to move around in the woods. Without this machine pulling the wood out of the woods, it would have taken 2 to 3 times longer. Sometimes we have the tools to do the job, you just have to be creative!

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
First time I meet her she said that she was a tree hugger! :cheese: Wasnt sure how to hide the 15 cords and chainsaw shop so I ask what exactly is a tree hugger and I may need to grab more beer...lol

haha sounds like she agrees with you now. ;-)

Ahh, I was thinking how to hide 15 cords of wood and a chainsaw shop! lol Glad I ask what her definition of a tree hugger was! Just means that you conserve on ever-thing! lol shhhhhh Still not sure how I would hide everything! (Lots of beer is the only thing that made sence) ;-) Oh she really embrace the whole wood burning and milling thing quick!

Jay, that's a great story!

stejus, those are some mighty nice stacks. Must be nice to walk through all those piles and say "yes sir, I did this.."

Ok, with the risk of this getting moved to "The Gear"...
How do you like that electric splitter and what is the biggest thing it will handle (size and wood type)?

homebrewz said:
stejus, those are some mighty nice stacks. Must be nice to walk through all those piles and say "yes sir, I did this.."

Ok, with the risk of this getting moved to "The Gear"...
How do you like that electric splitter and what is the biggest thing it will handle (size and wood type)?

It sure is a nice feeling now that it's all done. It got real warm early this spring so I jumped on it as soon as April came along. Now I just sit back and use the piles as a backdrop for shooting chipmunks. It's sort of like a arcade game where they pop up and you don't have much time to get them. The real reason I am using them as target practice is I am honing in on a groundhog that makes his way to the vegetable garden in the forefront.

The Task Force Splitter max diameter log is 10". I just measured a stump and it was 23" in diameter and I had no problem with this wood. It's red and white oak. It just snapped apart as soon as the wood went into the splitter as you can see here. I can't say this for wood that would be for of knots. On a few large splits that were full of moisture, the splitter choked on the initial split. I just had to move the log so it would split a smaller section of the round. Once i got that peice split off, the rest was easy.

Attachments

• split1.jpg
    split1.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 390
Thistle said:
jimosufan said:
looks great. Anyone ever look at all the work they accomplish , and think, If their were only 2 of me?

There used to be 3 of me at 18-20,2 at 30 & now just me at 47.That's what working construction full time for 27 yrs & 30 yrs part-time in the woods wil do to ya :lol: Now I do what I can in a day,somedays thats 4-5 hrs steady,other days its 8,those real killer days its 3 hrs max.

Worry not. It will not get any easier from this point on.... >:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.