One month of hell, 10 trees, 1 leaner and nothing but Silver and Gold, "Priceless".

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stejus

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2008
Central MA
My supplier never called me back this spring so I figured what the hell, just do it yourself. I've taken down a tree here and there before, but never 5 cords at once. It took about 6 weeks to down it, haul it out of woods, split and stack it.

The Silver wood (Oak and Black Birch) will be 18-24 months by Nov 2011. The Gold wood (all red and white oak) rows will be 18-24 by Nov 2012.

Before I started, I had about 4.5 cords. When I finished, about 9.5. Hopefully my supplier resurfaces next spring!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 532
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 977
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 953
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 523
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 524
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,094
A few more...

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 682
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 554
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 502
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 1,100
stejus said:
My supplier never called me back this spring so I figured what the hell, just do it yourself. I've taken down a tree here and there before, but never 5 cords at once. It took about 6 weeks to down it, haul it out of woods, split and stack it.

The Silver wood (Oak and Black Birch) will be 18-24 months by Nov 2011. The Gold wood (all red and white oak) rows will be 18-24 by Nov 2012.

Before I started, I had about 4.5 cords. When I finished, about 9.5. Hopefully my supplier resurfaces next spring!

stejus, great work. How much do you burn on average in a heating season.

Zap

zapny said:
stejus, great work. How much do you burn on average in a heating season.

Zap

2010-2011 season 4.5 cords (longer and colder winter this year)
2009-2010 ~ 4 cords
2008-2009 ~ 4 cords

Very nice My back would be smokin from lifting those rounds!

This one is worth seeing too. I thought I could fell this tree (the one on the ground) by just missing the other tree. One of the limbs on the felling tree wacked the other tree and it bowed it until it finally snapped. I was in a good position to see it all happen and far away from flying wood. I got a boat load of kindling peices from the stress cracks!

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 494
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 511
smokinjay said:

Learned long ago to use legs while lifting. Wide base, take it slow. With these rounds, the first lift with your back you'll feel a nice burning/tearing sensation in your lower back!

That's got to feel wonderful--your woodyard is a thing of beauty. The shot with the round on the splitter looks like it should be captioned, "I think I can, I think I can." Congratulations!

How much of the 9.5 cords were you able to split with the Task Force?

stejus said:
smokin said:

Learned long ago to use legs while lifting. Wide base, take it slow. With these rounds, the first lift with your back you'll feel a nice burning/tearing sensation in your lower back!

I have a strong lower back. Kayaking for years rolling one makes those muscle very strong, but lofting on to a splitter your bound to lean over when placing it. Guess I am getting out. Threw mine out on X-mass tossing a piece of paper into the trash. (everyone thought I was nuts) Amazing how many people have pain killers and muscle relaxers with them.lol :snake:

DanCorcoran said:
How much of the 9.5 cords were you able to split with the Task Force?

5 cords this year. Last few seasons, about 1 to 2 each season. I also use it throughout the burn season to split down large splits to pack the stove.

Those photos and your comment above should be in the "gear" forum...there are a lot of folks over there who seem to think small electric splitters are toys.

:lol:
DanCorcoran said:
Those photos and your comment above should be in the "gear" forum...there are a lot of folks over there who seem to think small electric splitters are toys.

Its all toys just some bigger than others! :lol:

I read the above about lifting rounds, and again, I'll put in my 2 cents on Husky lifting tongs.
I've been able to lift big rounds, with an iffy back. I use two of them.

21SkA1ry-2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

velvetfoot said:
I read the above about lifting rounds, and again, I'll put in my 2 cents on Husky lifting tongs.
I've been able to lift big rounds, with an iffy back. I use two of them.

21SkA1ry-2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I look into these a couple years ago, cant remember why I didnt buy them. (Probably out of stock)

looks great. Anyone ever look at all the work they accomplish , and think, If their were only 2 of me?

jimosufan said:
looks great. Anyone ever look at all the work they accomplish , and think, If their were only 2 of me?

Ahh All the time and will not even think about stacking anymore.......lol Thank God! I cut split and back it into the 21x21 concrete slab and gf stacks it! Woootwoooot! :coolsmile: ( she has a week to get it done)

smokinjay said:
:lol:
DanCorcoran said:

Its all toys just some bigger than others! :lol:

:) :)

smokinjay said:
jimosufan said:

Ahh All the time and will not even think about stacking anymore.......lol Thank God! I cut split and back it into the 21x21 concrete slab and gf stacks it! Woootwoooot! :coolsmile: ( she has a week to get it done)
Pretty sure it's time to clone Her also.

jimosufan said:
smokinjay said:
jimosufan said:

Pretty sure it's time to clone Her also.

First time I meet her she said that she was a tree hugger! :cheese: Wasnt sure how to hide the 15 cords and chainsaw shop so I ask what exactly is a tree hugger and I may need to grab more beer...lol

I had considered one of those electrics. Especially the Speeco 5 ton that was on sale at Tractor Supply for $250 but I would also have to spend $100 or more on a heavy duty extension cord that would reach about 120 feet out from the house to my work area. I think one of these would do the job for me... at least a great deal of it. About 80% of what I have is water oak which has a very straight grain and splits very easily. Also some Post Oak and Hickory. That's all I have to burn.

Kenster said:
I had considered one of those electrics. Especially the Speeco 5 ton that was on sale at Tractor Supply for $250 but I would also have to spend $100 or more on a heavy duty extension cord that would reach about 120 feet out from the house to my work area. I think one of these would do the job for me... at least a great deal of it. About 80% of what I have is water oak which has a very straight grain and splits very easily. Also some Post Oak and Hickory. That's all I have to burn.

Should be able to find a good deal on a used one.....

stejus, maybe you won't need that wood supplier any more?! That was a peck of work but hopefully as satisfying to you as it is to me. Then there is something about standing back and looking at all that wood stacked; it just makes a man feel good.

stejus,
Just out of curiosity, and maybe this is a stupid question, but what is that red vehicle pulling the cart? Looks like a cross between a rear engine mower without the deck and an old folks scooter.
Nice job on the wood by the way.

It's amazing to me how different woods split. I figure I'm about 60% complete with the grapple load, and there are some relatively large rounds that I barely got on the splitter that split incredibly easy, going at maybe a quarter of the way through, and then there's the 4" piece that the entire length of the ram has to be used. I have no idea what wood is what, but I can't imagine my little electric splitter going through all this stuff. With the gas splitter, I know it's gonna split. A more full size electric could be the ticket if power was available, especially with the cost of gas nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.