one more oveheat loop question before actually light the torch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmudd

Jun 7, 2012
Central MO
It was said in previous threads, in general terms about dump zones, that hieght above boiler is good, distance from boiler for the overheat loop not so good. In my plan, I 'll have 32 ft of fin tube (4 runs x 8ft) manifolded together. It will be about 3.5' above boiler and location of dump will be about 4ft from boiler laterally. I need to decide, based on the orientation of the dump zone , if there will be more linear feet of pipe prior to or after the dump. Is it best to make the shortest pipe run the hot and have the cold return pipe run longer or vice versa or does it matter? I know it will thermo-syphon either way, but theorize it's best go to the dump with the hot supply being the shortest pipe run. The difference in the length of pipe run between supply and return will be about 12 ft due to space limitation. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks guys!

Hotter water is less viscous, so that would be a reason to have the hot run be the longest. But it would make a small amount of difference and hopefully you won't be needing to rely on some small effect to make the difference between success and failure.

That makes sense. Also this will work out a little better for the pipe runs. Thanks for your imput.

Status
Not open for further replies.