one room 435 sq feet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodhillstudio

Hearth Supporter
Oct 7, 2009
Southern Oregon
I have been reading the posts for the small cabin. We live in Oregon and the coldest average temp. in the winter is in the low 30's-high 20's. We are insulating our garage and turning it into a pottery studio and we have free hardwood (madrone) on our property. The area size we will be heating is all one room and only about 435 sq. feet. We will not be needing a hearth since the floor itself is cement. Oregon stoves must be EPA certified. So far we are looking at the Quadra Fire millennimm2100, the Morso 1410 & 1440, and the Buck model 18. We are familiar with heating with wood-just never in such a small place! Right now there is a great sale on the Buck stove so that one is looking pretty good to us and the reviews we ave read on the company seem to be the most favorable so far. On the expensive end we have been considering in the Quadra fire Millennium 2100. We would welcome your advice and any suggestions that you might have. Also, is it true that if we build a small fire in a bigger box that it ruins all the efficiency stats? Thanks! Chris W

Any small stove will probably work. Small Jotul box stove like the 602 or the Morso 2b would be my preference over the 1410 cuz I don't like cutting 12" wood. Buck 18 might be just fine if the price is right.

Having burned the Jotul 602 and the quad 2100 I can only vouch that both stoves were a pleasure to burn and both come from great companies.

Yes...I tried the candle idea...my candle for the last two years has been a 5 gallon propane tank with a radient heater attachment and a heat lamp hanging down over my head. I did pretty good until the snow came and I was working out there in snow clothes with my fingers freezing off...and yes...I had a pot of warm water on a single burner...). The problem is that with what I am doing I am never stay in one spot very long as I am constantly walking from one end of the pottery to another and it is just kind of hard when my nose starts dripping into my clay! It kind of douses the enthusiasm a bit! :smirk:

I have burned small loads and large loads in my Summit insert. Its not a creosote factory if you burn hot enough.
Its not the size of the load, but the temps at which they are burnt. 3 splits will burn just as clean as a full load, if burned hot enough.
The size of the load for me is more of a burn time factor than heat factor.

Edit: A larger load will burn longer, but considering the full load catches and chars, it will out out more heat.
What I was trying to get across, is 3 splits or smaller loads can achieve temps enough to burn cleanly.
I do it every year during the shoulder seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.