Opinion of Convection Blower Health

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

md2002

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2011
United States
Hi all,
I have an Enviro Milan and this will be the 5th season of burning pellets and we're about half way through. Saturday morning when I woke up there was a sound coming from the convection blower and it sounded like the bearings were squealing or squeaking. I did what anyone would do and I took the stove apart and gave it a full cleaning which included taking the convection blower apart, giving it a good cleaning and oiling the motor and shaft. Plugged it back in and all was well, it purred like a kitten and the squealing sound was gone.

I thought I was all set but today the sound is back, it's not nearly as loud but the convection blower is squealing again and it sounds like bearings. Is it possible that the convection blower needs replacing? I searched and read a bunch of posts on here and most folks seem to replace the convection fan after 10 years so is it possible that it needs replacing after 4 1/2 years? Unless there are other suggestions I can't see much more I can do to fix the sound.

Thanks! If it's important the only other thing was that the chimney had a ton of ash build up - not sure if it's relevant.

On my M55, the convection fan bearings start the whine after 2 years of use. Frustrating. Another option, replace the bearings. I just did so today on my convection blower - it woke me up last week making the dreaded squeal. Second option is to take it to an electric motor shop and let them do it.

Reactions: Lake Girl
On my M55, the convection fan bearings start the whine after 2 years of use. Frustrating. Another option, replace the bearings. I just did so today on my convection blower - it woke me up last week making the dreaded squeal. Second option is to take it to an electric motor shop and let them do it.

^^^This.

I know a good local shop I have had motors rebuilt that after the rebuild were better than new. A competent motor repair shop should be able to rebuild or replace the motor and knowing the application it is for return you a product that will be quieter and last longer than a new replacement.

^^^This.

I know a good local shop I have had motors rebuilt that after the rebuild were better than new. A competent motor repair shop should be able to rebuild or replace the motor and knowing the application it is for return you a product that will be quieter and last longer than a new replacement.

Thanks for the response. I did some searching and couldn't find anyone in the area to do this... your guy wouldn't happen to be near Boston, would he?

Be adventurous! Pull the fan and replace the bearings yourself. It's a learning experience. fyi the M55 has a motor made in Germany; it takes two 608ZZ bearings in the motor and one 608ZZ bearing in the rubber grommet at the opposite end of the impeller.

Be adventurous! Pull the fan and replace the bearings yourself. It's a learning experience. fyi the M55 has a motor made in Germany; it takes two 608ZZ bearings in the motor and one 608ZZ bearing in the rubber grommet at the opposite end of the impeller.

I think this is what I want to do but know I need to find the bearings, been searching for awhile. Let me check, maybe the information above will help.

FYI - I called the place who installed my stove and they said I need a new fan, they didn't want to hear much about replacing the bearings but I think it's worth a shot.

There have been previous threads on the forum about the quality of those bearings if you are replacing on your own. Specific manufacturers that are better than others so you don't have to do it again anytime soon... https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/elena-air-convection-chirp-but-heat-is-good.151846/#post-2040284 or https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/englander-25ep-convection-blower.152759/#post-2060536 or https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/which-bearings.137242/#post-1842966

Stove dealer will only be interested in whole fan replacement ... in and out with service call and mark up in his pocket. He's got to make money to pay for his shop, equipment and employees too.

I'd suggest purchasing and installing a new fan, then take apart the current one and replace the bearings. Then you will have a backup fan. You can't confirm bearing size and type until you take apart the motor. But, if you want to take a chance, I'd look for 608ZZ as both my Enviro M55 and Bixby convection fans have German made motors and both take that bearing. I am waiting for SKF 608ZZs ordered last weekend; I picked up two bearings yesterday from the local electric motor shop and installed those - they're rubber sealed and made in Japan.

Thanks for the response. I did some searching and couldn't find anyone in the area to do this... your guy wouldn't happen to be near Boston, would he?

No I am in Canada, the shop I use is in Oshawa, they do alot of work for the GM factories here.

Never any bad noises from my exhaust blower yet, but on my room blower I pulled it apart and forced grease into the bearings with my fingers and a blunt object for spots I couldn't reach well. Some of it will get past the seals and into the races where it needs to be, and won't run out as easily as oil.

I'd suggest purchasing and installing a new fan, then take apart the current one and replace the bearings. Then you will have a backup fan. You can't confirm bearing size and type until you take apart the motor. But, if you want to take a chance, I'd look for 608ZZ as both my Enviro M55 and Bixby convection fans have German made motors and both take that bearing. I am waiting for SKF 608ZZs ordered last weekend; I picked up two bearings yesterday from the local electric motor shop and installed those - they're rubber sealed and made in Japan.

Do you know if it is possible to get bearings that will take oil or grease? Those sealed ones IMO are inferior as they can't be lubricated and the heat from the stove will eventually dry them out.

Funny that you say sealed bearings are inferior. Lets just say quality bearings are worth the money unless you like doing the labor to replace these bearings. You can buy cheap bearings for a buck a piece and maybe they will last a month. you can also buy quality sealed bearings with grease made for the purpose. If you go to a electric motor rebuilding shop and describe where this motor is used they will sell you a quality bearing that is made for high temp conditions. Usually they will have metal seals as plastic or rubber doesn't last as well in hot conditions. The lubrication needs for a bearing in hot dusty conditions will be different then those used in a skate board.