Osburn 1600 WH18152 firebrick and baffle question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RRL

Feb 17, 2015
Canada Ontario
Hey guys,

So im working on my osburn wood stove to get it certified and need to replace some bricks and add the baffles

Mine has the baffle brick retainer but didnt come with any vermiculite baffle, now seeing my stove is rated for the vermiculite baffle ontop of the firebrick can I opt to get the ceramic insulation blanket instead? or will that not work and I would end up failing a WETT inspection?

There's various sized / length bricks inside as well, do I just cut store bought firebricks to spec or are the bricks supposed to be purchased pre cut to spec? as I can't seem to find any bricks that vary in size and can just get access to a generic size in most stores around here.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry you seem to have been missed ... hopefully the wood stove guys will catch sight of this! Could check with SBI or the WETT certifier locally.

Yea... wett certifiers have been to say the least not very helpful without me contracting them and spending $$$

1 said any modification to a wood stove voids its integrity... he also charges 500$ for a full inspection and wouldn't do an inspection on a wood stove any older then 18 years old and would require a note from my insurance company saying they will allow it. (if I wasnt going to get insurance for it, I sure as heck wouldn't get it certified lol) non the less hes on his high horse and I have no idea how he's still in business.

I called another WETT tech and he pretty well told me to go to a wood stove shop that deals specifically with wood stoves to see what I need. Which I have yet to do but I dont see how their going to have information on a wood stove from the 1980's... non the less he charges 150 for the inspection 20x more reasonable then the 1st guy I called

This manual from the Osburn site shows c-cast baffles. Do you still have the baffle insulation and insulation weight? See page 55 of manual...
http://files.osburn-mfg.com/upload/...2016.pdf?_ga=1.243196166.566293870.1472822421

Edit:
http://www.osburnwoodstoves.com/Osb...he_osburn_1600_p/osburn-1600-insert-parts.htm Use drop down menu for parts # and cost

http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/Osburn-1600-Parts-s/213.htm?searching=Y&sort=1&cat=213&show=12&page=1&f-Firebrick and Baffles=525

Per stove-parts-unlimited, c-cast baffles are used due to integrity issues with vermiculite ones ie. arriving broken.

Last edited:
Thanks but this is where I get lost.... every osburn manual seems to have slight variances...

This manual shows a "bridge" which mine has... mind you it almost seems home made... (page 4)

The link you showed is showing for a 2008 or newer stove (for parts). I just verified and mine was made in 1989

http://www.rural-energy.net/docs/om_O1600.pdf

On a side note, for the bricks, do they all come in generic sizes and need to be cut to proper angles / specs? are are the bricks something I have to find pre cut / fit to the stove?

Thanks!

If required, you likely could get a statement from Osburn that states the c-cast baffles are a retro-fit for the vermiculite ones as they no longer make/carry them.

Not sure on the bricks ... sizes are available on the Osburn website. There appear to be some special sized/shaped ones as differing density... may be better off getting directly from Osburn if you are worried about inspection...

Sounds good! thanks for the info! guess ill be making some calls to some local shops that carry the osburn make and see what I can get.

Hopefully I can find someone local before opting to the US Shops

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.