Osburn 5000 install and question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jurgenk

Jul 28, 2018
Hazelton, BC
IMG_0152.JPG

Just had an Osburn 5000 installed yesterday and had a question on economy in general with pellet stoves and on wireless thermostats specifically. Previously owned a home that had an old Whitfield stove in it so am somewhat familiar with them, but this Osburn is significantly more programmable. I am attempting to more cost-effectively heat a 1200 sq foot rancher that has electric heat only. I live alone, work 12 hour shifts, and was originally planning to just run the stove manually, so as not to be cycling it on and off continuously. As the stove at its lowest setting is very effective in providing me heat, I am now thinking that a wireless thermostat might be the best and most economical way to run it.

Searching on here, see mention of the SkyTech 3301p (which I can purchase off amazon.ca for around $190 CAD) and is that overkill for a wireless thermostat wherein I just want a few simple program options? Thanks for any thoughts...

Brad

Reactions: kenora
I've got the same stove and the same question..

in my case I plan on running it on low constant (8000 btu hr I believe) while I'm away.. the house may cool off a bit during the coldest Wx but it won't cycle... that's the best I can come up with so far so I'll follow this thread as well.... thanks for asking

You are welcome and this does not appear to be a very common stove (although it is, apparently, the "same" stove as the Enerzone Eurostar but with different cladding) as the Harman's and the like. I have only been burning mine for a few days and very much enjoy the ability to simply push a button for heat and appear to be burning about a pound/hr on the lowest setting.

In the research I have done on here, the SkyTech 3301p seems very popular, but as I was only looking for a few programmable options am wondering if there are quality options that are cheaper as I only want the option to be able to turn the stove on and off with a timer (i.e. I work random days/nights and want to be able to simply have the stove turn on 15 minutes before I get home and get up and also have thermostat capabilities).

Last edited:
So, spent $176 for the "basic" SkyTech 3301 off of amazon.ca and it arrived blazingly fast and I have been using it for about ten days. I simply velcroed the receiver to the back of the stove and installed the holder for the thermostat remote beside my current thermostat for electric heat. The 3301 advertises that it is able to be set to swing between 1 - 3 degrees but, for whatever reason, mine will only toggle between 1 and 2. Contacted SkyTech and have not heard back but am not much bothered as a wider swing does not interest me. Install was super simple and looks very clean and it definitely is nice to be able to have the ability to run the stove automatically and I feel that I will definitely burn less pellets with more consistent heating this way.

when you get a chance could you post a pic of the install please

Watch them wires they don’t get pinched and ground out.