Osburn Matrix Updated Version?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

relevante

Nov 18, 2018
Garrison, NY
Hi,

I just ordered an Osburn Matrix from Woodland Direct yesterday. Early this morning I noticed that on the Osburn site there is a slightly updated version showing. I thought I might have been imagining things, but I still had an old copy of the page open on my phone and took screenshots before it went away.

It looks like it's an update to pass the 2020 EPA regs. The particulate output is way down (now 1.54g/h, was 3.9g/h), but the efficiency specs are almost identical (actually slightly worse than before, by pretty negligible amounts). Also, the BTU range is narrower than before (now 14.8k-28.6k, was 12.5k-31.3k).

Curious what you all would do? I assume I'm in line to get an old one, but since I just ordered, I'm sure I could put a hold on the order and wait for a new one. I'm excited to get it, so I'd rather not wait, but it's not a huge issue if there's some advantage to the new one, particularly since I need to get a little work done before I can install it anyway. But then on the other hand, I actually wonder if the old one might be better and the new one is actually downgraded in some way just to pass the test. The BTU range and efficiency specs seem to possibly point to this. I'm definitely new to all this though (learned what I do know so far mostly from searching these forums), so happy to hear whatever thoughts anyone has. I plan to also call Osburn and Woodland in the morning and see what they have to say.

Thanks!