OT request to the pros...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
if the moderators will allow...

would any of you pros who work on oil systems frequently, and end up changing out various assmblies, be willing to be on the lookout for and send me a few of the solid state devices that have replaced iron cored ignition transformers on modern oil burner heads? One or two would be wonderful, and three or four would be even better. No immediate need. I'll gladly reimburse the postage

earlier tonight I was temporarily playing with one borrowed from my oil fired stand alone water heater and confirmed its excellent suitability for homemade plasma experiments of various sorts like a Jacob's ladder, plasma globe ( it works pretty amazingly with a large clear light bulb) and maybe at some point, after I am done with my gasifier and storage install, as a driver for a spark-gap Tesla coil.

I know that extreme caution is in order so that I do not end up six feet under,

and I am able to exercise that caution- main illustration being that I am still standing despite having played with similar devices for several decades since I was a teenager (which was a long time ago).

I've merely confirmed that the solid state "ignitors" actually work better (while taking up only a fraction of the space and poundage) of their old iron-core counterparts (of which I have a couple in my junk parts collection).... it's just that I cannnot justify spending the $ to go buy some of the solid state ones for mere mad-scientist fun

if anyone reads this and is curious about the above-mentioned high voltage projects and wants instructions, I must regrettably decline in advance-- this is one of those things where you should "go there" only if you already know how and are solely responsible for your own actions. but especially with the Web, you can teach yourself how, if you want- in which case, you go there only at your own decision and risk, not 'cause I said it was a good idea....

We're beginning to wonder about you, Trevor. Trying to animate a Frankenstein in your basement? ;-)

I'm not sure how many you are going to find as they typically only show up in the scrap pile after they've gone bad. Looked on Ebay? Check out item# 220321051534

I have an old neon transformer that packs a lot more punch than an oil burner transformer. It will burn holes in things. I think it's about 15KV, IIRC.

Chris

My bro and I did the Jacob's Ladder thing when we were youngsters...it was a hit at our little "haunted house" years ago. Talk to an HVAC pro, get a few off some old burners.

Redox said:
We're beginning to wonder about you, Trevor. Trying to animate a Frankenstein in your basement? ;-)

I'm not sure how many you are going to find as they typically only show up in the scrap pile after they've gone bad. Looked on Ebay? Check out item# 220321051534

I have an old neon transformer that packs a lot more punch than an oil burner transformer. It will burn holes in things. I think it's about 15KV, IIRC.

Chris

I'd only do a Frankenstein if he/she could help with my boiler install :)

regarding the fact that the solid state igniters are relatively recent, -- around here, it seems kile old burners get "nursed along" until their last workable day (chich includes periodic replacement of a lot of associated parts like controls and igniters) and then finally, the whole thing goes out the door, complete with the relatively new parts, when it all hits the point of no return. So I am hoping some of the solid state units might be something that someone who works on enough systems might be able to get ahold of that way

the neon transformer sounds neat, but the high current is something IK want to stay away from- it makes them a lot more lethal than an igniter transformer if something ever does go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.