Our Dog Passed Away

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

UpStateNY

Feeling the Heat
May 4, 2008
Catskill Mountains
Our Golden Retriver you see in all my posts for the last 10 years developed kidney failure. Two weeks ago, we decided to put her down. We have had many dogs but Dakota was special. She was a great companion. I miss her a lot.

They live such short lives, don't they? And what a hole they leave then they are gone. Like you, I've had a few dogs but my German Shepherd (a rescue) that I had to have put down 10 years ago was really special and I still miss him.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Reactions: Tonyray
A little something

RB_Poem_Gate.jpg

RainbowBridge.com
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Our Golden Retriver you see in all my posts for the last 10 years developed kidney failure. Two weeks ago, we decided to put her down. We have had many dogs but Dakota was special. She was a great companion. I miss her a lot.
Sorry for your loss. the only bad thing about having a dog is saying goodbye. My Great Pyrenees (in my profile photo) has been gone for 2 years. I still look for her when I get home....BTW, she hated the stove! Too hot for her. Again, my condolences

Losing a dog is losing a family member,,,I'm sure you gave your dog a life that they dreamed of...so sorry for your loss.

Sorry for the loss. I Know how that feels.

So sorry for your loss, I lost my golden and he was only 4.

Quote from Mark Twain,

The dog is a gentleman. I hope to go to his heavens, not man’s

Reactions: Tonyray and Jake86
It is so tough to lose our furry friends and never easy to make the decision to help them drift off peacefully with their dignity. Condolences.

Just saw the thread title in this forum, which I don't frequent. My condolences. It's always hard. I asked a vet once if it ever gets easier. He replied, "no."

So sorry to hear about your loss. We had to put our sweet Golden Retriever down also Friday night. He was 9 and have fluid around his heart which could not be drained. We gave him a great life and he gave us the same in return. We know how you feel.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1885592571.jpg
    Snapchat-1885592571.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 111
Sorry for your loss @Tonyray . They take a piece of our heart when they go.

So sorry to hear - I agree, they do take a piece of our hearts. A fireplace or stove...this seems such the right place to reflect.
My best to you and your family.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Dogs I love, people I tolerate"

I'm sure you've been told this already, but the sooner you get another companion, the better you will feel. I also think it's great to always try to have two dogs. First, so they always have a playmate, and second, when the inevitable happens you have the best grief counselor in the world right there with you.

condolences- I had quite a few furry companions - never easy - always leaves a big hole. Thinking about any one or the whole group gets me misty eyed.

Sucks to lose them but the memories are great. My stove picture shows Lucy, a retired Guide Dog, who is 13 now and starting to have issues.

Bill

To all of us that have lost our Furry friends (both of the ones in my picture have gone). You can never replace them, but there are ALWAYS more in need of good parents. The two that have adopted us are great dogs, one (a chocolate lab) needed a new home and the other (a yorkie) is a true rescue dog that was living in the woods behind us in December two years ago.

So sorry for your loss. I've been there and know how difficult it is. My last dog died in my arms & I cried like a little girl.
They give us so much love. Dogs are absolute angels, and heaven is full of wagging tails.

You can never replace an old friend, but you can always make a new one.

So sorry. I know the feeling. We lost our almost 15YO Golden the morning of May 30th. Still have a hard time with it even though we have two others. She too was a very special dog and touched many people in her lifetime. Our 7 year old Golden's personality has not been the same since she passed.

IMG_9894.JPG

thank you pellet buddies for your thoughts...
our Golden went to sleep peacefully in our arms...only we knew it was forever...
And yes, a great spoiled, want for nothing life we gave our adopted friend..
toys, treats, play, walks, cuddles..........

Attachments

• 16865004_901697746600538_6719602005911602743_n.jpg
    16865004_901697746600538_6719602005911602743_n.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: FirepotPete