Our Dog Passed Away

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So hard to say goodbye to them, after we have them as our friends for many years. Kudos for being there to the end as Dakota went to sleep - they deserve that from us.

Still look for my boy Copper by the stove when I go to put pellets in. SOB never did move out of the way. Been gone a week and I just can't seem to adjust to it. I'm sorry for your loss man. It sure as hell hurts.

Our Golden Retriver you see in all my posts for the last 10 years developed kidney failure. Two weeks ago, we decided to put her down. We have had many dogs but Dakota was special. She was a great companion. I miss her a lot.

Can't imagine the depth of your grief. I am so sorry for your loss and send my condolences. Got my first dog eight years ago. She's in the picture. I'm 75 and can't imagine life without her and wish I had not waited so long. Goes everywhere with me and if not for wife I'd let her sleep in my bed.

Reactions: bogieb
My condolences to all in need, lost my guy Monday afternoon.
Very empty house now...
sorry for your loss. The house does seem strange, even when you have other pets. The one who passed had a favorite sleeping spot, unique way of interacting with us etc. That does make it seem as if the house is empty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tonyray
So sorry. I know the feeling. We lost our almost 15YO Golden the morning of May 30th. Still have a hard time with it even though we have two others. She too was a very special dog and touched many people in her lifetime. Our 7 year old Golden's personality has not been the same since she passed.

View attachment 234938

At one time I had 3 dogs. Two of them went within 5 weeks of each other. The one left, Sampson, was in shock/grief for several weeks. I took in another dog much more quickly than I thought I would because Sampson had never lived without other dogs around (the cats didn't count). As soon as I brought Prince, a 2 YO dog, home, Sampson started coming out of his funk. I was so relieved as I thought Sampson would pine himself away. As far as I was concerned, Prince was a literal life saver and Sampson lasted a couple more years.

Reactions: jp99 and Tonyray
At one time I had 3 dogs. Two of them went within 5 weeks of each other. The one left, Sampson, was in shock/grief for several weeks. I took in another dog much more quickly than I thought I would because Sampson had never lived without other dogs around (the cats didn't count). As soon as I brought Prince, a 2 YO dog, home, Sampson started coming out of his funk. I was so relieved as I thought Sampson would pine himself away. As far as I was concerned, Prince was a literal life saver and Sampson lasted a couple more years.

Our Golden Retriver you see in all my posts for the last 10 years developed kidney failure. Two weeks ago, we decided to put her down. We have had many dogs but Dakota was special. She was a great companion. I miss her a lot.

Oh no, so sorry for your loss.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. We have a great community of people here. Always trying to help each other.

For those of you that have also lost a companion I too am very sorry for your lost.

One of our other dogs a black lab does not seem to be affected by the recent death. At 13 she has seen a few of our dogs that have left us.

Our other dog is a mixed something rescue that has not been the same. The strange thing is she never seemed to get along with the golden retriever. Always very competitive for affection. Now she just seems to lie around. I guess dogs are like people. Sometimes you don't how much you love each other until you loose them.

This is terrible. Sorry for your loss. The thing is people who don't own dogs don't realize how hard it is when you lose a dog. It's a terrible thing to go through. It will pass, I've lost 2 in the last 3 years and it's not something I would wish on my worst enemy.

Reactions: Tonyray