overnight burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very true. I also want to give my entire intake system a thorough check, replace a signifigant amount of cracked firebrick, find out for certain if I have any air leaks other than the ones I've checked, finish draft sealing the house....

All in a matter of time.

joesat78 said:
I think people should stop talking about "burntime" like the stove sellers/resellers/dealers and start talking about "flametime" - the length of time the flame is visible. This will be a better guide than a burntime.

Then people will be loading their stoves to often and creating excessive coaling problems. Those coals put out about half of your heat. I don't think many stoves have flame for over 4-5 hours, more like 2-4?

I also do prefer burntime, but the handicap is - For the same load, when I have a thick bed of coals the night I hit the bed, its more likely, I have coals in the morning for restart in a couple of minutes. If I have a thin bed of coals, the next morning, everything is ashes...
I agree that the stove will put of lot of usable heat after the flame dies. But, when the flame dies we can definitely know the measure of time, where as a burn time is relative. Some call burntime as till when they can usable heat (again a questionable measuring criteria), some call it as when they can resstart with a few coals (again questionable). You can restart in 5 sec after a load or after 5 minutes depending on the coals... there are too many variable for measuring a burntime and it confuses a newbie to the extreme.

joesat78 said:
I think people should stop talking about "burntime" like the stove sellers/resellers/dealers and start talking about "flametime" - the length of time the flame is visible. This will be a better guide than a burntime.

joesat that wouldnt work for some stoves. I would have to say I get only 20 minute burntimes then. Over 70% of the time I char my would for 20 minutes then shut-er down so there is no visible flame and let it smoulder. Then I will let the CAT go to work on it.

the stuff I have been using is actually like 4x4 and 4x6 cut off that I get. I find that if I put them on end and pack my firebox, then thats when I can get those long burn times. And still plenty of coals in the am to re=light. I'll try to post a pic in the next couple of days.
chuck p

Status
Not open for further replies.