Overnight Fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hydestone

Jan 11, 2006
I have a Jotul 602 and it has a small firebox. I have to reload it a few times through the night. Does anyone have a tip for getting your wood to last longer overnight? I tried burning some crotches and unsplit logs. Other than that just dampering it down to make them last. Any suggestions?

Other than burning crotches and other large, gnarly pieces of wood, it's tough for me to suggest anything to extend burn time. (Other than damping it down of course)

Hopefully someone else can help

602 is a great little stove, keyword is little
Firebox is just too small for overnight burns

You may have slightly better luck if you can split sides off of round logs to get square centers. Ideally, you would have the largest square possible to fit through the door, or be able to stack the smaller squares tightly. These would do slightly better than rounds. Using slightly wet wood and the densest / heaviest wood you have will help maximize the time, too. But nothing will work miracles if you are coming up several hours short every night.

Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.