Ozburn 2000 Insert after 1 year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renjilj

Sep 17, 2014
Newtown, CT
Overdue update. The stove did great last year. I ended up burning about 3.5 cords total. A mix H/W and mostly Oak. Was a mix of >20% and <20% moisture.. It was a cold winter. It heated the house well and once I got dialed in off-set oil use considerably.

I estimate total use for 2015 (heat and h/w) will be 350g compared to the last full year oil use of 780g. 430g savings! Makes about a 2.6 year payback (with my free wood). Keeping the house at 75 vs 67 = priceless

Checked flue monthly and never had any build-up whatsoever. Like, none.. insulated flue was good advice. Did run stove a little hot and had 2-3 800+ degree events.. Burn times were very respectable and I think will improve with an earlier cutback schedule. 3 loads/day worked well. Wife was impressive, although not much of a fire "starter".

Things to try this year - Cutting air back earlier this year and see how that goes. Starting to reduce air at 450-500 often lead to 650 (or more) on top end when it settled. Given the lack of build-up feel comfortable starting at 350. At some point, maybe even some experimentation with the intake orifice sizing? This thing drafts very well even with just barely a 15' flue.

Started last year with 3-4 years wood CSS so this years will be dryer than lasts. Here before you know it.

Thanks again all for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.