P38 esp problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Profilebrewing

Apr 5, 2014
Seacoast NH
Bought a p38 at the end of February. Installed myself, no problem until I fired it up. Right from the first time I turned it on I got the three blink status. Tried the reset and it worked for a while, but for the first week or so I had the stove I was reseting it a few times a day. Then the reset stopped reseting, called the dealer, they came out and replaced the esp. All good for about a month. Yesterday the light started blinking again. Reset won't work, cleaned the stove and esp, and nothing. Still three blinks, and very little, if any heat. Called the dealer again, but I imagine they will replace the esp again. So that will make 3 esp's in less than 1 ton of pellets. Is this a problem that I am going to continue having? And what could be causing the esp to go bad? This stove is only like 6 weeks old. I feel like it should be running flawlessly. Thanks for any help.

Have them swap it out, it should run with no problems if it's brand new. I don't have my manual off hand. Is 3 blinks the ESP? You running in room or stove temp?

You need to have the dealer plug a DDM into that unit and check the ESP temp reading. All things being equal, if they have replaced the ESP several times, it is most likely a control board issue. However, I find control board issues with Harman Stove's to be pretty Rare. Lots of times with do-it-yourself installs, I find that the vent runs sometimes are prohibitive to proper exhaust flow and residence time in the vent... that can screw up ESP readings. How is your venting set up?

Reactions: Mt Bob
It's vented into a fireplace. A one foot pipe coming off the stove to a tee, then about 16 feet of 4 inch flex pipe to the top of the chimney. The tech that came out the first time said the install looked good and I had really good draft. The stove was off for over two hours before he came, and as soon as he flipped it in the coals in the burn pot took right off.

Vent run sounds good. Board issue

Just an update. Techs just left. It was a bad esp. And this one was my fault. Instead of turning the room temp/stove temp knob off to shut the stove down, I was just killing the power and the creosote was building up on the probe. That's what I was told anyways. I would have thought that cleaning the probe would fix something like that but I guess not. We'll see what happens.

Well, I guess you'll see how it goes but unless you've got some other weird issue going on there shouldn't be any creosote on your ESP. The only thing that should build up on the ESP is fly ash. You had a bad ESP. Not unheard of, even in a new stove. You didn't pay for that new ESP did you?

Status
Not open for further replies.