P61A stove problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TTigano

Jan 19, 2012
Southeastern, Ma
I have a friend with this stove and unfortunately, he's short on cash so i'm trying to help him solve the problem on his stove. The blower motor on the bottom of the stove will not shut off. I'm pretty sure this is the air feed to the burn pot but not sure. I'm a woodstove guy myslelf. Anyway... He can't afford the $90/hr charge the dealer wants to troubleshoot and I told him I would ask on here. Could someone lead me in some direction on this to look into? He tried lighting the stove the other day with no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

How clean is the stove?
Very Clean. It has been cleaned prior to the first burn. And has always been kept up since new. It seems the blower motor won't shut off and the burnpot isn't getting hot either. The tech said it is either a motherboard or a relay over the phone. I'm trying to figure this out myself to save my buddy some cash.

The exaust blower will run up to 5 hours after fire or attempt. Thats in the manual.

Correct, the stove will not light. Sorry about the confusion with the way I am describing the fan but yes, I believe it is the exhaust fan.

Have you tried a manual start using gel starter etc.? Maybe a bad electric ignitor. First did it feed fuel to pot?

Can you be a bit more specific on which fan you are describing? When you say "the fan on the bottom" do you mean the one you can see in the extreme rear of the stove? That is the distribution blower. If you mean the fan that you can see with the ash door open and the ash pan removed, that is the combustion blower.

does the stove FEED pellets? If the combustion fan is out, the stove wont feed pellets, nor will air be pulled up through the burnpot.....put the stove in TEST mode, and check the back of the combution blower- it should be turning.....make sure all the doors of the stove are closed- hopper, front, and ash door. Also check the combustion fan impeller in the stove- is it all there, or are there vanes missing.......check back and report. oh, and FYI, there are no "relays" in the stove other that what may exist on the circuitboard.

technically, mepellet is correct.....the combustion fan PULLS air thru the burnpot....it doesnt FEED air to the burnpot.

OK then...thats incorrect. The combustion fan most definitely feeds air to the burnpot in a P61A.

The combustion/exhaust fan in the P61A (not all stoves) does not supply air to the burnpot. It draws air through it and the airwash. I know... minor technicality but in the HVAC world this is important in the way you talk about fans and coils in equipment (in this case the coil is the burnpot). It is also important in realizing that the firebox is under negative pressure.

Reactions: Lousyweather
Semantics.....:)
well, not really......if the air were fed to the burnpot, the firebox would be under positive pressure....drawing air causes the firebox to be under negative pressure, which allows the vac switch to detect negative pressure, which powers the feed motor. If under positive pressure, the stove wont feed.

The combustion/exhaust fan in the P61A (not all stoves) does not supply air to the burnpot. It draws air through it and the airwash. I know... minor technicality but in the HVAC world this is important in the way you talk about fans and coils in equipment (in this case the coil is the burnpot). It is also important in realizing that the firebox is under negative pressure.

We are saying the same thing but my words don't sound as good or get as technical as yours. My point was that, to me, your statement that neither blower feeds air to the burnpot "could" be misleading to those we are trying to help. Feeding, sucking, drawing, supplying...whatever. If its not running, no air is being "drawn" through the burnpot via the negative pressure in the firebox.

Reactions: Lousyweather
We are saying the same thing but my words don't sound as good or get as technical as yours. My point was that, to me, your statement that neither blower feeds air to the burnpot "could" be misleading to those we are trying to help. Feeding, sucking, drawing, supplying...whatever. If its not running, no air is being "drawn" through the burnpot via the negative pressure in the firebox.

Lousyweather explained it very well.

lol- stove not feeding (in test mode) check the combustion fan first......if that thing isnt turning, youre not gonna get any feed....after than, check cleaning, safety switches (hopper), door integrity, vac switch, THEN feed motor even before you go yankin parts off the unit......

Semantics.....:)

It`s important to know and understand the difference between drawing or pushing air (negative /positive ) from the beginning as it is crucial to most troubleshooting techniques.

It`s important to know and understand the difference between drawing or pushing air (negative /positive ) from the beginning as it is crucial to most troubleshooting techniques.

I never said pushing and I do understand the difference. My choice of the word "feeds" in my post was only to make the point that the combustion fan has to operate in order for there to be fire in the burnpot. Air from that fan operating (under negative pressure) passes through the burnpot. I just thought that mepellet's statement that "neither of the fans feed air to the burnpot" was misleading to the OP looking for help. Obviously you guys don't agree....thats cool......

Reactions: mepellet
Status
Not open for further replies.