P61a won’t shutdown?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zackwbutler

Feb 7, 2021
New York
I’m a new pellet stove owner. I have a p61a. I run it in temp mode and manual ignition so that it won’t keep shutting down and turning on all the time. We have a bit of a heat wave here today and it’s 80+ degrees in the house so I was going to shut it down for a bit until it cooled off. I turned the stove from room temp to off and it’s been sitting there running for the last 45 minutes and won’t shut down. It keeps feeding pellets and burning. The status light went off when I turned it to off. But it won’t shut down. Why is this? It has shut down in the past when I had it on auto ignition and it was doing its normal shut off when it reached the desired room temp. But like I said I run it in manual so it doesn’t do that. But why can’t I get it to shut down?

I have not cleaned the probe. I guess I was expecting it to shut down quicker than it did. If 45 minutes is normal than I guess I don’t think I have an issue.

I have not cleaned the probe. I guess I was expecting it to shut down quicker than it did. If 45 minutes is normal than I guess I don’t think I have an issue.
have same stove as you..
45 minutes is about normal..
what you can do to shorten the time is what i do..;
after all the glowing embers in the burnpot are gone and it's just still running,
open the door for a few minutes to let any remaining heat out of the stove...
once u shut the door the exhaust blower will go off.
i will actually stick the harman tool in there and mash any embers left just to " move it along'. quicker.

Reactions: Zackwbutler
It could be a potentiometer that has a bad/intermittent connectivity near the off position. Some have had luck with contact cleaner on these devices making them work better. Obviously this has to be done with stove unplugged and it's not easy to get cleaner inside these little blue "pots" .

It could be a potentiometer that has a bad/intermittent connectivity near the off position. Some have had luck with contact cleaner on these devices making them work better. Obviously this has to be done with stove unplugged and it's not easy to get cleaner inside these little blue "pots" .
I will look into that

Are you still thinking you’re having shutdown issues?

It can take30+ minutes for my P43 to shut down if I have had it in manual mode for a while. The exhaust fan will stay on as long pretty much as long as the stove is too hot to touch.

So today I encountered it again except this time it wouldn’t shut down after 2 hours. The stove was in auto ignition, temp mode (65 degrees). I turned the temp/constant selector to the off position and the status light went off. Waited over an hour and it just kept burning, combustion blower was running, and the distribution blower was running the whole time in a very low position. I turned the temp down all the way and turned the feed rate to 1. Waited a little bit and nothing. I twisted the temp/constant potentiometer knob a bunch of times and put it back to off, still nothing. Finally I got it to shut down. I had the potentiometer in the off position, temp and feed rate were still at the lowest setting, and I switched it to manual mode and the distribution blower shut right off, it stopped feeding and it shut right off. What is my problem here? It seems it won’t shut off in auto mode but it did in manual. That leaded me to think the temp/constant/off dial is OK as it did shut off once switched to manual. Why would it refuse to shut down in auto mode?

Did you try cleaning the blue knob controls (potentiometers) on the back of the board with proper cleaner ? Looking thru your older posts it's a refurbished P61A, has the ESP ever been replaced ?

Did you try cleaning the blue knob controls (potentiometers) on the back of the board with proper cleaner ? Looking thru your older posts it's a refurbished P61A, has the ESP ever been replaced ?
What do you mean by blue? No I haven’t tried cleaning the potentiometers. I was thinking that they were working (at least the temp/constant/off) because when you turn it to off the status light shuts off so to me that meant the knob was in the right location to turn off and the stove knew that it should shut off. I don’t know if the esp was replaced or not. I attempted to fire it back up last night and couldn’t get it to ignite so I left it off. The burn pot felt warm so I think the igniter was working but for some reason wouldn’t fire up after 2 attempts.

Clean the esp. that is the boards only indicator of heat in the stove.

Clean the esp. that is the boards only indicator of heat in the stove.
Blue Potentiometers on board for controls

Harman board.jpg