Pacific Energy 2.5 Neo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Valkouts

Sep 27, 2020
CT
Hello all. I have been looking to purchase my first ever wood burning insert. I have narrowed it down to the PE 2.5 Neo. I would like to hear from people that have the insert. What are the pros and cons?

Search on Neo 2.5, titles only, this forum. There are several threads. Here is one of them.

Search on Neo 2.5, titles only, this forum. There are several threads. Here is one of them.

I ended up not getting the Neo because of the small glass area. I am back looking and I am considering 3 units, Regency CI2700, Lopi Large Hybrid-Fyre and Osburn Matrix 2700. I am leaning towards the Osburn. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Is the 2020 version of the Matrix 2700 available now? The website still says "Available Soon".

The big Lopi is a serious heating beast. There are also a lot of folks that liked the Regency i2600 which preceded the 2020 version.

The big Lopi is a serious heating beast. There are also a lot of folks that liked the Regency i2600 which preceded the 2020 version.
Any input on the Quadrafire expedition II? I am leaning towards non-catalytic and that’s because of looks of the fire and easier to operate. Correct me if I am wrong. Complete newbie.

Any input on the Quadrafire expedition II? I am leaning towards non-catalytic and that’s because of looks of the fire and easier to operate. Correct me if I am wrong. Complete newbie.
i was completely new to wood stoves when i got my catalytic stove 4 years ago. it was pretty straight forward to operate, and the bimetalic coil in the temp. knob adjusts the air for you. pretty slick.

This is about the neo 2.5 LE woodstove, not the insert. Pacific energy is quite proud of their air wash system that keeps the glass in the door clean. It worked really well on our previous models but the neo 2.5 has a real problem. The glass on both sides of the door smokes up really quickly and unless you clean it before every use, It’s really unpleasant and really disappointing after having such good luck with the glass in the door in our previous experience with Pacific energy stoves. What’s up?

That shouldn't be an issue, sounds specific to this stove or stove installation. Is this a new installation in a new location? Have you done the dollar bill check to verify the gasket is sealing in these areas?
Check that the gasket is still adhering to the door in those areas. It might be coming unglued.

Checked the gasket, no problem, stove is a replacement of a previous pacific energy stove With a glass door which performed extremely well. Same type of wood, as dry or dryer, same load , same location, the stove is a little taller than the one I replaced so the smoke pipe is about 4 inches shorter but I can't imagine that being a factor in the air wash System. There's something about this design it doesn't work, it's a little wider and less deep than the previous stove, and the glass is about 50% larger , all of which we saw as benefits compared to the other stove which was moved to the cottage. But the air wash system frankly stinks. anyone else out there with a similar issue with a pacific energy neo 2.5?

Checked the gasket, no problem, stove is a replacement of a previous pacific energy stove With a glass door which performed extremely well. Same type of wood, as dry or dryer, same load , same location, the stove is a little taller than the one I replaced so the smoke pipe is about 4 inches shorter but I can't imagine that being a factor in the air wash System. There's something about this design it doesn't work, it's a little wider and less deep than the previous stove, and the glass is about 50% larger , all of which we saw as benefits compared to the other stove which was moved to the cottage. But the air wash system frankly stinks. anyone else out there with a similar issue with a pacific energy neo 2.5?
Are you loading N/S or E/W?
I have an admitted bias toward the Super and Summit fireboxes for this reason. A deep N/S loading firebox is more important to me than a big window.