pacific northwesterners: what temps do you start burning at?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
it looks like summer is finally on its way out at the end of this week. i can tell i'm itching to fire up the woodburner. highs will still be in the upper 50s/low 60s for awhile, so i'm a bit torn since no blazeking for me = too much heat at mild temps.

so, what temps do you pull the trigger and start 'er up?

it looks like summer is finally on its way out at the end of this week. i can tell i'm itching to fire up the woodburner. highs will still be in the upper 50s/low 60s for awhile, so i'm a bit torn since no blazeking for me = too much heat at mild temps.

so, what temps do you pull the trigger and start 'er up?

If your house needs heat you can simply build a smaller fire out of very dry twigs, sticks and branches. Pack it full and leave the air open so it torches nice and hot. Monitor it in case you need to dial it down a bit. You might need to do it once in the evening and once in the morning.

I'm new to the forum and just had our first wood stove installed a week ago (Jotul F45). I started burning as soon as the county inspector gave me the all clear.

I'm south of Bend, OR and its been in the high 20's at night and 50's during the day.

pacific northwesterners: what temps do you start burning at?
If I'm not burning inside...I'm burning outside in the pit...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Zack R
I've had a couple fires so far when it was down around 50 outside and below 65 in the house.

We rely on the heat pump until temps get into the mid-40's usually, but it depends on the daytime temps. In sunny weather the house will warm up during the day and hold the heat through the evening. Last winter we started burning earlier due to the non-stop rain. It helped cheer up things and there was no daytime warming.

Started a fire last night actually. I’m guessing it was mid 40s?
Funny thing, my new place has a ratty, old mobile home stove in it. Broken glass, cob webs, noisy fan, etc.
My new stove is sitting on the patio while I figure how I’m going to get it inside and set up.

I figured I would use the existing stove just for 1 night. Now I am questioning whether I should have got a new stove after all! This one is doing just fine.
If I cleaned it up, replaced the glass and cleaned out the blower area it would be plenty to heat this place.

I bought an Endeavor. I am almost bought the next size larger. I’m sure I will be happy with the Lopi, it can take an 18” stick whereas the mobile home stove is quite a it smaller.

What stove is currently in the house? Was the chimney checked and cleaned before burning? You probably already know this, but it's not a good idea to run any stove with broken glass.

Right now temps are very mild in Seattle. We haven't dropped below 52 yet at our house. When temps drop down into the 20's you'll appreciate the reserve heat of the Endeavor, the cleaner glass and the longer burntime.

My nextdoor neighbor has an Endeavor. It's a really nice stove.
Neighbor on the other side is having a Freedom installed this month. I'm starting to feel inadequate with my little Republic.

I had an Endeavor at my last house.
I wanted to go bigger this time, but I’m glad I didn’t.
I think the Endeavor will be more than adequate for me.

i'm not in the pacific northwest (although i feel like it this year with all the rain we have had), but my rule is if it gets below 59 in the house for 3 days in a row.... and its officially fall... and there has been snow.

That being said, i met all of those requirements on monday :)

last night was the first fire. 4 small splits to start. then a reload of 2 splits at 11pm. 7am temp in the house was 71F at 7am. started a new fire. outside temp 41.

Evening and early AM fires the last couple of days. Love this time of year and weather with the cool AM temps and 70's in the afternoon. Very easy to keep the house at an even temp.