Packing The Trail

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
I was out packing the trails to see if I would be able to cut some wood today. The deer are my friends! They help me pack the trails.
IMG_5284.jpg

The deer have also been busy packing their own trails. They're starting to get pretty deep now, with all the snow.
IMG_5290.jpg

When it gets way down below zero, the white pine lose some of their color. The needles turn from green to more of a gray. I took this picture at about zero degrees, but it had been almost 20 below just a few hours before.
IMG_5302.jpg

The trails are getting really deep and really tall, if that makes sense. As I'm riding along, branches that are normally overhead hit me about eye-level now because there is so much packed snow under my wheels. And the sides are getting deep, almost like riding rails. I barely have to touch the handlebars in the curves. It's almost too deep for my little Hawkeye ATV.
IMG_5304.jpg

He wasn't helping me pack any trails, but he's almost always out there. He was a long way up there. I had to use all 40x of my camera to get him in this picture. Sometimes this eagle roosts on the hay bales across the road from my house when he's not circling overhead.
IMG_5321.jpg

I thought this jet was kind of cool-looking with it's green fuselage. It was a long way up there too and I had to use all 40x again. There were a couple fighter jets playing cat and mouse, shooting flairs out, but they are really hard to get a picture of. I missed on every try today.
IMG_5338.jpg

Great pictures quad.

Thanks Dennis!

I forgot to mention, the big lump on the right side of the first picture is a root ball/stump laying on it's side. That's just one of many leftover from the tornado that went through in 2004. It pulled a lot of the biggest oldest trees right out of the ground like that and left most of the smaller trees, aside from breaking a lot of tops and branches out of them. I got two big rounds out of that stump after the loggers took the rest of the tree.

Quads great pictures again, the eagle is a great picture thanks for sharing.

zap

As always, I enjoy looking at your photos Quads.

Thanks guys! I enjoy taking them and sharing them.

Adios Pantalones said:
Oh man- even those pics feel cold. Bitter nasty- don't bang your finger cold
Speaking of "don't bang your finger cold", today I was running the bench grinder, making a bolt shorter. My hands were cold and when I was cleaning the end of the threads up, I had my thumb stuck against grinding wheel and it ground right through my thumbnail. Didn't even feel it at first, until it was already burning into the meat!

You'll feel it later!
Whisky & ice, drink the whiskey, stick your thumb in the ice.
Again
Nice pictures. Beautiful clear day.
We had clear day but 50 mph wind with 80 - 90 mph wind gusts, drifting/blowing snow every where. Picking up shingles in the back yard from my roof. :shut:

Oh my! We rarely get winds that strong, thankfully.

I bet I would go through half as much wood if we didn't live in one of those red spots on the wind maps.

Wind sure makes a big difference in heating this place too. Doesn't really matter a lot if it's 0 or 30, until the wind blows.

Status
Not open for further replies.