Paid $1.65 gallon home heating oil.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My neighbor is now 88yrs old, every year I make sure he's got the 1 -1.5 cords he needs to continue what he's been doing for the past 60 years, many just burning in his rumford fireplace and watching tv in the mornings or evenings. We were stacking wood the other day and he looked at me straight in the face and said it would be nice to keel over on a pile of well stacked wood, meaning he's gona die doing what he loves, I just make sure he's got his supply to keep him comfortable, you can take the farm from the farmer, but you cant take the farmer from the farm, and that's life, live with compassion.

I told my wife and kids to lay me on a stack of wood and light me up upon my demise. Sure it wouldn't happen but one can wish! At least spread my ashes on the stacks.

Reactions: Dmitry
My neighbor is now 88yrs old, every year I make sure he's got the 1 -1.5 cords he needs to continue what he's been doing for the past 60 years, many just burning in his rumford fireplace and watching tv in the mornings or evenings. We were stacking wood the other day and he looked at me straight in the face and said it would be nice to keel over on a pile of well stacked wood, meaning he's gona die doing what he loves, I just make sure he's got his supply to keep him comfortable, you can take the farm from the farmer, but you cant take the farmer from the farm, and that's life, live with compassion.
Good on you for helping the old woodburner out! It will come back to you tenfold.......

Electricity is free for me now, but I am still heating with wood.

Apparently there is no price point that will deter me.

No word on a cure yet...
I was hoping to hear about your adventures with solar powered heat pumps.

I was hoping to hear about your adventures with solar powered heat pumps.

Didn't do it this year. We are torn between buying a cheap DIY minisplit with one or two heads, and paying a crew to hit every room with a ducted air source system. (I am sure you can guess which camp is mine and which is the wife's. ;) )

The quotes for option 2 have been more than our entire first house cost, so we're still pondering. (I also got a quote for whole house ground source hvac, which is what I really wanted, and it was about $60k even though we have plenty of space for a horizontal loop. Didn't ask what they get for a vertical loop.)

For this winter, it's still wood heat with some resistive heat as a supplement. I'm still a couple MWH ahead for the year, so I can do more resistive for free if I decide I want to.

I filled up the propane tank at $1,95 per gallon this past August and it cost over 400 dollars. Since we have an air source heat pump with propane backup, I almost never have to use the propane for heat.
The almost seven cords of firewood we have are for occasional and emergency heating. My health is worse then last year and for the first time the thought of firewood is not pleasing.
Right now the compressed bio bricks or Enviro Logs sound very good for a future investment.

Be happy because it won't last (cheap oil and propane) Neither will cheap gasoline and diesel. I'm willing to take bets that next year this time, cheap propane will be $2.50+ per gallon, Fuel oil will be $4.00+ per gallon, regular unleaded gas will be $3.50+ a gallon and diesel will be $4.50+ a gallon. Why? I think you already know but some people are in denial. Price of doing business in the modern United States. I'll leave it at that. I've already bought next year's hardwood pellets and dropped 1000 gallons in m y bulk diesel tank. Better now at 215 a ton and under 2 bucks for diesel.

I am like @Texas123 with a heat pump and propane back up. in 2018 I burned nearly 400 gallons of back up propane for the winter. Cost was over $1,400. Installed my insert last November and burned through April. My total propane deliveries last year was 1.2 gallons. So my stove saved me that cost and the back up stage 2 heat never came on all winter.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
I was thinking about the cost for fossil fuels the other day vs cordage, I think there are many people like my parents, my Dad prob has close to 6 cords stacked (+3yrs) and hasn't really burnt the insert for primary heat, more of an ambiance burner / arctic cold front burner, this is because of the hassle of wood and there older age (mid 60's and doesn't want to be married to cleaning up dust & wood crumbs) so its easier to just hit the oil fired thermostat, especially when the price of oil can = convenience, but I'm sure once that price creeps up above $3.25 a gallon, that wood burner will be running a lot more then the boiler.
Again for me, I source my own wood supply, have all the tools to make doing everything easier, and have one of the best stoves for my building envelope, so its a no brainer for me to just maintain and burn no matter what the cost of fuel is.

Problem I see with wood is the cutting, splitting, stacking and drying. All good if your time isn't worth much. Me, I'd rather be farming and making money that fiddling with a labor intensive thing like that. My time is worth something to me at least.

Just roasted a huge pile of downed timber from the last wind storm

Just paid $100.00 for 275 gallons, tank topped off.

5 cord backed up & more to process (a lot more ! )

Sitting in the cat bird seat ;)

I hope it is ;)

I haven’t paid more than a buck a gallon for LP since the big the big shortage of 2013/2014 and that year I paid just over a buck a gallon before the shortage occurred... and, two years ago I paid $0.79 a gallon but I’d still rather burn wood for many reasons but mostly for the ambiance of the fire and the lovely hear we get from having the stove not far from us- I mean the dogs and I. I’ll always burn some LP on those cold night we get up here until I get up and build a fire again. I don’t stress on how to have all night fires that way.

I haven’t paid more than a buck a gallon for LP since the big the big shortage of 2013/2014 and that year I paid just over a buck a gallon before the shortage occurred... and, two years ago I paid $0.79 a gallon but I’d still rather burn wood for many reasons but mostly for the ambiance of the fire and the lovely hear we get from having the stove not far from us- I mean the dogs and I. I’ll always burn some LP on those cold night we get up here until I get up and build a fire again. I don’t stress on how to have all night fires that way.
If I had a stove I would probably agree. I have an insert with a fan.

Is this a typo?

Nope, it'snot.
Just paid $100.00 for 275 gallons, tank topped off.

5 cord backed up & more to process (a lot more ! )

Sitting in the cat bird seat ;)

HUGE TYPO, sorry guys... 175 gallons worked out to $.99 a gallon ;em

Nope, it'snot.

HUGE TYPO, sorry guys... 175 gallons worked out to $.99 a gallon ;em
Wow, $.99 gallon. Must lower than wholesale.

Wow, $.99 gallon. Must lower than wholesale.

Last year I had a Tank Monitor installed Through my oil Co. Cost $100. After the first year, a $50 credit, 2nd year the same. Not having to trudge out in rain / sleet / snow, etc, priceless. Oil was @ $1.20, before the credit

Pic & link for idea purposes only

Amazon product ASIN B01M2VATHS

I paid 1.43 for oil and I still burn. But other than my time and effort I usually get my wood for free.