Painted turtle pics....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMMA RAY

Minister of Fire
Jan 16, 2011
PA.
Found this guy in my yard.....
I am rather fond of turtles...me and my bro always had them as pets as well as various other reptiles..
I don't think he liked me cause he took off quick...!! Hence...the rear leg actiononey....;lol

turtle1.jpg turtle2.jpg turtle3.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-05-24_18-01-22_582.jpg
    2012-05-24_18-01-22_582.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 168
When the turtle crosses the road it is going to rain.

Red-eared sliders on the run...

I thought it was a RES but this guy had red stripes on his legs which the RES do not.
Also, the carapace on the RES has a slight keel down the center that is clearly absent on this turtle.
Same family of turtles but classified into separate genera.
Just sayin...==c

How big was he Gamma ? half smiley.jpg

Pete

SLE (Straight Carapace Length) was approximately 8 inches. That means the length from the front of the shell to back.
I would say the width of the carapace was about 5 inches.
I think it was a male since the foreclaws were very long which is indicative of males. He was an old bugger I think, from the size.

One of my friends suggested I should have kept it. :mad:
I would never even consider such a thing! He deserves to live in his natural environment.
I took him to the large pond across the street where he belongs.half smiley.jpg

Nice pictures Gamma, the turtle took off fast so it would not become the ROTW! :eek:

Zap

Coulda called Ernie...

OMFG! He is gonna eat all them turtles!...:(
(I was wondering about his front teeth)....a chainsaw took them out?;hm
I don't like that Ernie fella dammit...;lol

It's that time of the year again-for the turtles, that is. They are laying there eggs in "nests" and will be all over the place for a couple weeks. Around here, its mostly painted and snappers. Some of the snappers get kinda huge!

Snapping turtles are known to kill cygnets as they feed with their heads down in the weeds of a pond.

neato...my son's BF brought over his fairly large RES yesterday. Our cats freaked out. They're all tough and whatnot when theres a squirrel or bird outside the window but they ran like chickens from the turtle on the dining room floor. I likes me a turtle too.

Yep, saw a couple of them laying eggs over the weekend. Most of the eggs get sucked down by coons around where I saw them.

OMFG! He is gonna eat all them turtles!...:(
(I was wondering about his front teeth)....a chainsaw took them out?;hm
I don't like that Ernie fella dammit...;lol
I think Ernie lost those teeth chomping down on turtle shells...
Cutle little guy, Gamma--sort of wish I had taken a pic of the little box tortoise I found last week, no bigger than one of those little green turtles we used to by in the dime store when I was a kid.

Here ya go Gamma. Found a female doin' her thang (burying eggs) on a golf course a couple weeks ago.

mms_picture.jpg

Reactions: GAMMA RAY
This snapper was crossing the road near a local pond. Hung out with him until he was clear of traffic. That is my cell phone for scale.

Img_0623_a.jpg

Img_0621_a.jpg

KaptJaq

Status
Not open for further replies.