Painting wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddahlgren

Minister of Fire
Apr 18, 2011
SE CT
How do you get all the dust off it without an oily surface? What to use so paint sticks well and stove looks good? This is an indoor project so acetone and carb clean not a good option. Yeah I know I am 2 months behind a good time for doing it outdoors. I was thinking 90% isopropyl alcohol.

A little acetone won't do you any harm. Just make sure you have a window cracked a little if the weather allows. Your going to want ventilation when you start painting anyway.

Reactions: CenterTree
Acetone or even brake cleaner is usually best for a residue free painting surface, but ya really should have good ventilation for those.
I would wait till Spring. Or grab your coat and open all the windows.;)

Acetone or even brake cleaner is usually best for a residue free painting surface, but ya really should have good ventilation for those.
I would wait till Spring. Or grab your coat and open all the windows.;)
I would hold off as well if you can. If your worried about how it looks, grab a bottle of the black stove polish (if its flat back your after) and load the stove up good with it. It kinda bakes on like the paint and will make it look good until spring.

Alcohol is fine. Steel wool down the surface with fine steel wool, then vacuum the dust off and take a tack rag to remove any remaining dust. Wipe completely with alcohol. Mask off and paint.
Stove Brite metallic black is the most common brand/color of stove paint. This is a very good paint but note that it's acetone based and the fumes are quite intense. You must ventilate the room very well . I suggest using a fan in the window exhausting fumes. And wear a vapor mask if you have one.

Wire brushed with a 4 1/2 grinder cleans with compressed air and wiped down several times with acetone. Then drive as much moisture out with propane torch and heat gun. 3 light coats of Rutland stove paint and have to assemble doors and move in house.

Status
Not open for further replies.