pallet shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like lots of work, hard on tools & difficult to keep square.
Do-able but not sure it's worth the effort.
Pallets do make good compost bins, mine works fine.

With the price of everything nowadays, I love the idea.
The sheds look very simple to build and very strong.
But then again, while living in a 600 unit apartment complex in San Diego, my girlfriend
didn't understand why I used the little outside porch to store concrete blocks, old windows,
pieces of rebar, and other building materials I dragged home from various jobs.
I was going to build us a stone house but I lucked out and bought one instead.

Structural Ventilated Panels seem perfect for a wood shed. I sometimes get the 8 footers with loads of building materials and hate to throw them away.

Good pallets are getting harder to come by . Even where I work we reuse anything that is good . We have a guy employed full time who repairs any of our posible repairable pallets . It use to be for companies that pallets were cheap now they are very costly and like recycling they get reused till they are junk .

[snob alert]
Pallet sheds look so - wrong side of the tracks - shanty town to me. Would fit in well with a patchwork of used rusty metal roofing. OK if you live on that side of the tracks.
[/snob alert]

LLigetfa said:
[snob alert]
Pallet sheds look so - wrong side of the tracks - shanty town to me. Would fit in well with a patchwork of used rusty metal roofing. OK if you live on that side of the tracks.
[/snob alert]

Long live shanty town.

Attachments

• pallet shed.jpg
    pallet shed.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,725
LLigetfa said:
[snob alert]
[/snob alert]

LOL very good

Can you say hillbillly ?

I built this shed from recycled pallets. I didn't use the standard size pallets.
A place near me was getting rid of a bunch of shipping crates made form 6" X 3/4 pine.
The floor is standard pallets and I purchased some 3" strapping to support the roof and go around the outside.
It does the job, keeps my wood dry and out of the weather.

Attachments

• Picture 093.jpg
    Picture 093.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 829
  • PDR_0073.jpg
    PDR_0073.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 823
WES999 said:
I built this shed from recycled pallets. I didn't use the standard size pallets.
A place near me was getting rid of a bunch of shipping crates made form 6" X 3/4 pine.
The floor is standard pallets and I purchased some 3" strapping to support the roof and go around the outside.
It does the job, keeps my wood dry and out of the weather.

I like the convertible roof feature.. It would be great when you have a stretch of dry hot weather and aid the seasoning process..

Ray

great shed wes. looks like you thought of everything. how much does it hold? when you stock the shed is it with green wood or seasoned? does it dry the wood in the middle of the stack ok?

Some of the pallet sheds look ok but alot not so much. I would not put one up where it would be easily visible I did think of putting one up back in a little clearing out in the woods . With some of the other designs I have seen here available for a reasonable cost I think I will go more with that type shed.

There's a house one town over that a guy built out of pallets . . . although you would never know from the inside . . . or outside. Single story only.

firefighterjake said:
There's a house one town over that a guy built out of pallets . . . although you would never know from the inside . . . or outside. Single story only.

your joking right. a real livable house that passed inspections?

This is nice;

Attachments

• pallet_house_gregor_pils_andreas_claus_schnetzer_2.jpg
    pallet_house_gregor_pils_andreas_claus_schnetzer_2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 860
Nice photo, Kenny. Why did they build that one?

Uh, around here the term is, ah, 'rustic'. :p

Cluttermagnet said:
Nice photo, Kenny. Why did they build that one?

Uh, around here the term is, ah, 'rustic'. :p

It was the winner in a contest called "Sustainable Architecture" and designed
by a couple folks from Vienna Technical University in Austria.
Pallets are not just an american thing.

Here's a home built in Chile out of shipping containers and pallets;

Attachments

• 1997.jpg
    1997.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 457
Wow! Way kewl!

It's sort of Frank LLoyd Wright gets sick of curves, goes green... :)

fbelec said:
firefighterjake said:

your joking right. a real livable house that passed inspections?

No joke . . . but bear in mind that this was built in the late 1970s or early 1980s . . . in rural Maine . . . when and where the concept of building permits, much less inspections, did not start coming into being until just a few years back.

these will be the start to a small 4ishx8ish garden shed for my wife. I don't intend to use them as is for anything. I'll be tediously pulling off one board at a time. Plan is do do some sort of lap siding, need to put my dado blade to use because it's still in a package and over a year old.

Attachments

• IMAG0019 (Small).jpg
    IMAG0019 (Small).jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 307
Status
Not open for further replies.