Part of massive hickory score from last summer.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
We got over 100 hickory trees last summer and split it all we did a 50/50 split me and my co-worker he cut, I split. When finished he hauled out 12 of these loads, I wound up with a stack 185 feet long and 4 feet tall. We're both happy. Surprisingly the splits almost look as if they'd burn today. Mine are stacked with the top covered about 10 inches on both sides and a cinder block high. I will move the stacks under total cover maybe late fall, as the stack gets direct sun most of the day.

ms.jpg ms2.jpg ms3.jpg ms4.jpg

We got over 100 hickory trees last summer and split it all we did a 50/50 split me and my co-worker he cut, I split. When finished he hauled out 12 of these loads, I wound up with a stack 185 feet long and 4 feet tall. We're both happy. Surprisingly the splits almost look as if they'd burn today. Mine are stacked with the top covered about 10 inches on both sides and a cinder block high. I will move the stacks under total cover maybe late fall, as the stack gets direct sun most of the day.
Wish I lived down-wind from you. Love the smell of burning hickory, nice score, great looking splits!

Reactions: JamesGuido
get some hunks of pork or beef out to smoke, hickory is my favourite wood for smoked meat flavour.

1645808680115.png

Sure Looks Purty!!

Reactions: FTG-05
Wow, wow, wow!

Hickory sometimes seasons in as little as 12 months. It's interesting, because it's so dense. But generally much quicker to dry than oak.

Wow, wow, wow!

Hickory sometimes seasons in as little as 12 months. It's interesting, because it's so dense. But generally much quicker to dry than oak.
I looked today it appears as if it's ready to burn, many cracks some going through the splits end to end, I'll give it a year anyway.

How much do you burn each year?

This is one of my wood sheds; this was left by the previous owner. I thinks it's about 12'x12'.

It's sole purpose is to hold Hickory (mostly Shagbark) and Black Cherry for smoking meat. No home heating or recreational fires with this wood. All of this is or will be used to make smoked meat.

xfQq2NC.jpg

This is one of my wood sheds; this was left by the previous owner. I thinks it's about 12'x12'.

It's sole purpose is to hold Hickory (mostly Shagbark) and Black Cherry for smoking meat. No home heating or recreational fires with this wood. All of this is or will be used to make smoked meat.

xfQq2NC.jpg
Great burning wood there, but nothing like smoked meat over hickory, and cherry. I cook steaks in my fire pit over those woods, fantastic.