PE Summit improvement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralBill

Sep 30, 2009
Western OR
Just had the Summit installed. Been busy removing the old 8" chimney, patching the roof, bashing out the combustable brick wall and leveling the hearth base (it was lumpy old bricks), etcetera.

Got a look at the firebricks in the stove and noticed that several were unstable. Turns out that four bricks set on projecting screw heads. Seems like a poor design for loading in heavy oak and shoving wood around. The ceramic brick is a rigid material that does better with even support. I took the dremel out and put a divit at each location. Now the bricks sit flat and even.

The downside is I need to replace them in the same location.

Looking forward to the 1st burn next Saturday!

- Bill

P.S. PE should change the screws to set flush.

Bill_in_CV said:
Just had the Summit installed. Been busy removing the old 8" chimney, patching the roof, bashing out the combustable brick wall and leveling the hearth base (it was lumpy old bricks), etcetera.

Got a look at the firebricks in the stove and noticed that several were unstable. Turns out that four bricks set on projecting screw heads. Seems like a poor design for loading in heavy oak and shoving wood around. The ceramic brick is a rigid material that does better with even support. I took the dremel out and put a divit at each location. Now the bricks sit flat and even.

The downside is I need to replace them in the same location.

Looking forward to the 1st burn next Saturday!

- Bill

P.S. PE should change the screws to set flush.

There was no brick stability issues in my Spectrum. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.