PE Summit Insert Help! Can't get a secondary burn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Burns

Feb 21, 2007
CT
This site is such a usefull tool, lots of great info.. hope someone can point me in the right direction. Cleaned out my chimney, replaced the air baffle gasket, cleaned and inspected entire interior of unit. This is my 3rd season with the unit and its been great so far. But for some reason it is no longer getting any secondary burn..Im pretty frustrated. Any Ideas. Could the baffle itself be clogged in some way?

Mr.Burns said:
This site is such a usefull tool, lots of great info.. hope someone can point me in the right direction. Cleaned out my chimney, replaced the air baffle gasket, cleaned and inspected entire interior of unit. This is my 3rd season with the unit and its been great so far. But for some reason it is no longer getting any secondary burn..Im pretty frustrated. Any Ideas. Could the baffle itself be clogged in some way?

well.....
if your wood is seasoned, and you are getting temp hot enough for a secondary burn........
then you prolly put the gasket on then the baffle ripped it, so look in the back for secondaries.... or you may have gotten the tube that the baffle goes on top of full of ash...... i usually clean chimney then pull out baffle while using a vac...

lets get back to the basics....
are you sure your wood is dry?
wet wood takes forever to get the secondaries going...
what temps are you getting on your stove?
is the stove getting air?
did you clean out the boost manifold ?
are you sure the baffle is sitting right?
honestly it takes 2 of those gasket for my secondaries to really be super aggressive

Wood is good for sure...cut, split and stacked maple and ash back in early jan 09. I dont have thermostat, but know the stove is getting plenty hot and I got good boost air comin in, draft is great. I suspect the supply tube is clogged cuz the stove performs normaly other than than the no secondary burn...I do get some secondary flames flowing past the door glass but not one flame shooting out the holes in the air baffle. I notice my burn times are much shorter than I remember. Seems like its just not running like its suppoed to...time to let er cool down and check that supply tube.

I hope you cover that rear air channel prior to cleaning, or alot of what you swept down the flue is now in that channel/tube.

yep....so ill start with a vac. hope it works
thanks

its a pain to get down tht tube ... but if your wood was cut/split/stacked 11 months ago... some of it might not be well seasoned especially in this part of the country...... with the summer we had... what temps do you get it to? try to get it up to 500 before shutting it down maybe 550 make sure you have 2 gaskets... i put mine on without a gasket and barely any secodaries... 2 gaskets and wow!

Hogwildz said:
I hope you cover that rear air channel prior to cleaning, or alot of what you swept down the flue is now in that channel/tube.

I have to agree that could be the culprit... Nothing slows down that air channel like a buch of fly ash and chimney soot in it...

Most def was a bad spring/summer in CT in terms of trying to dry firewood..I find its best to just leave it uncovered all summr then cover it in late oct..my problem has to be the supply tube cuz it was runnin fine til i cleaned everything out..with th baffle out of course. I swear i knew not to do that too. pretty sure i read it on here a million times.. just forgot until it was too late.Well i gaurentee i remember from now on. Gonna have to modify some vacume cleaner attachments...and then hide em from the wife.

Be sure the little gasket is replaced when the baffle is pulled. Some of us have found that two gaskets work better than one.

BeGreen said:
Be sure the little gasket is replaced when the baffle is pulled. Some of us have found that two gaskets work better than one.
Or you can make your own,. that will last longer than 1 season.

You need to start marketing these hog! I'm too lazy to weave one, though I know I should.

BeGreen said:
You need to start marketing these hog! I'm too lazy to weave one, though I know I should.

+1
x2

Well if my prototype one I'm currently using made from the door glass flat pre-glued gasket work out, there will be no need to weave.
Actually, I have both the woven one and the flat one on this season.

Problem solved...1 shop vac, 1"hose adapter, the end of a turkey baster, some duct tape(of course) and I was able to get down the back of the air supply tube. Doubled up the gasket and I'm burnin like new again. Its crazy how much that effects the type of burn. night and day difference. Anyway Thanks Hearth.com..Again!!

Seriously someone needs to market a heavy duty style gasket for this stove. The ones I keep buying are so fragile and dont last very long.

Mr.Burns said:
Problem solved...1 shop vac, 1"hose adapter, the end of a turkey baster, some duct tape(of course) and I was able to get down the back of the air supply tube. Doubled up the gasket and I'm burnin like new again. Its crazy how much that effects the type of burn. night and day difference. Anyway Thanks Hearth.com..Again!!

so there was ashi in the tube???? or was it the fact you put 2 gaskets on?

do you notice a better burn with 2 gaskets?

yes there was some some ash in the tube....it was a pain to gt back there and 2 gaskets seals the air baffle much better in that seat. my air baffle isnt exactly as straight as it was when it was brand new so the extra one seals up the extra little gaps really well..still think it should be much thicker and durable tho.

Hogwildz said:

Excellent diagnosis Hog, I think a few more of us will be a little more careful during cleanouts.

I was wondering if there is any other easier way to get to that area to remove ash in the secondary air channel?, ie, remove boost manifold and clean??? I may have to get out the sales brochure, if i recall, it had the airflow patterns diagramed for these stoves.

FYI my homemade, Hogstyle.1 3/8" rope gasket has held up, though I believe it does not seal quite as well as the OEM flat gasket (when new), as there is a thin wave of secondaries that weep out of the back of the stove where the baffle rests on the stove body ledge. No big deal, I actually think it helps the burn in the back corners of the stove a bit, and the secondaries in the front are still present during this time....

I merely stuff an oversized rag in the hole with plenty sticking out the top, when I sweep.
After sweeping, pull the rag, the crud falls to the floor of the stove, wallah.

Maybe I need to make a top cap/baffle gasket ....cleaning/replacement kit. ;)

Brilliant!! :exclaim:
An all in one package with a heavy duty gasket, supply tube cap, and even a sheet of instructions.. all yours for 19.95...but wait if you call now we'll double your order...thats right.. two gaskets, two supply tube caps and we'll even throw in this handy brush for those hard to reach areas. Too bad Billy Mays is gone...

Mr.Burns said:
Brilliant!! :exclaim:
An all in one package with a heavy duty gasket, supply tube cap, and even a sheet of instructions.. all yours for 19.95...but wait if you call now we'll double your order...thats right.. two gaskets, two supply tube caps and we'll even throw in this handy brush for those hard to reach areas. Too bad Billy Mays is gone...

so how is she burning now?
what part of ct are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.