Peak Oil -New definition

semipro

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia
The image does not have enough resolution to zoom in and read it.
I think I fixed it. I was editing it when you were looking at it.

Reactions: SpaceBus

tbear853

Feeling the Heat
I saw the blm deal and promptly closed it. I'm done here.

tbear853

Feeling the Heat

semipro

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia
I saw the blm deal and promptly closed it. I'm done here.
When I read this my first thought was honestly "Bureau of Land Management?"
I would have shared the graphic using a different link if I'd known there was political stuff there.

Reactions: tbear853

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
NOAA report on the massive arctic wildfires in Siberia:

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
The winds are another good point since we are still in El Nino.
Did you mean La Niña? We are still in a La Niña cycle that started in Aug/Sep 2020.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
Did you mean La Niña? We are still in a La Niña cycle that started in Aug/Sep 2020.
Thank you for the correction.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
We're the first to feel the effects of the ENSO cycles out here so we tend to follow them. They also affect fishing so change is noteworthy.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
We're the first to feel the effects of the ENSO cycles out here so we tend to follow them. They also affect fishing so change is noteworthy.
It affects this side as well. We really felt the El Nino our first winter in Maine (2018-2019) with a lot of ice, frozen rain, sleet, etc. I'm hoping this year is more snow and less ice like last year. I definitely don't pay attention as much as someone on your side of the world, so I do appreciate the correction.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
So far things have been warmer than average here.
I think I fixed it. I was editing it when you were looking at it.
That works. Put in other terms, the earth is about 4.6 billion years old, let's scale that down to 46 years. In that context, we have been on this planet for 4 hours. The industrial revolution began a minute ago.

Reactions: EbS-P

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
So far things have been warmer than average here.

That works. Put in other terms, the earth is about 4.6 billion years old, let's scale that down to 46 years. In that context, we have been on this planet for 4 hours. The industrial revolution began a minute ago.
Normally this illustration of time relativity is used by climate change deniers to claim that humans are irrelevant to the earth's condition, but I know that isn't your intent.

It's remarkable that we've been able to do so much damage in such a short amount of time, and have built the capability to wipe everything out in just a few hours. And now have so little willingness to fix what we've done. The problem is illustrated all the time throughout this short human history, and is on full display now- those with bad intent are willing to go to any length to get what they want, and those with good intent require impending annihilation before they will fight back with the same resolve. Not humankind's finest quality. Pertinent so close to December 7, a date that is a stark reminder of this "reluctant hero" nature.

Take the combination of the number of people and the rapid advance of technology, throw in some insatiable greed and the completely irrational belief that some all powerful being out in space only wants the best for us, and you have the recipe for an unhappy future.

There is reason for hope, though. Hopefully that is not also irrational.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
Normally this illustration of time relativity is used by climate change deniers to claim that humans are irrelevant to the earth's condition, but I know that isn't your intent.

It's remarkable that we've been able to do so much damage in such a short amount of time, and have built the capability to wipe everything out in just a few hours. And now have so little willingness to fix what we've done. The problem is illustrated all the time throughout this short human history, and is on full display now- those with bad intent are willing to go to any length to get what they want, and those with good intent require impending annihilation before they will fight back with the same resolve. Not humankind's finest quality. Pertinent so close to December 7, a date that is a stark reminder of this "reluctant hero" nature.

Take the combination of the number of people and the rapid advance of technology, throw in some insatiable greed and the completely irrational belief that some all powerful being out in space only wants the best for us, and you have the recipe for an unhappy future.

There is reason for hope, though. Hopefully that is not also irrational.

If you give a person a problem and there are two answers and one of them is to do nothing, most folks will choose doing nothing. You can't pay someone to care, but you can definitely pay someone not to care.

semipro

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia