Pellet and Pellet Storag Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dl351

Dec 26, 2011
California
Hello all. I have some questions.

First, does storing pellets outside, under a patio cover, and under the big plastic bag-like pallet cover affect how the pellets burn? I got some Atlas pellets about a month ago and they don't seem to burn as hot as when I first got them.

Regarding Atlas pellets, I did not buy enough when I purchased them (I live in California in a house that isn't very big), so it is time to buy more. However, at Orchard Supply Hardware, they don't have "Atlas" pellets any more, but have "Hot Shots" pellets instead. They told me that these are the same as the Atlas pellets under a different name. Is that true? Can anybody who has used "Hot Shots" pellets tell me how you like them? From all of the hardware stores around here, the Atlas pellets seem the best to me.

As for another brand, has anybody tried "Packsaddle" pellets? They are about the same price as Atlas/Hot Shots. I will probably buy two or three bags to try before deciding whether I will buy the "Hot Shots" or "Packsaddle" pellets.

Thank you all for any and all input!

We keep all our pellets stored on pallets in our large workshop building.

We bring 10 bags a week to the house and stack them on the front porch under a cover.

I always bring a bag in the house to sit a few hours before burning and have not had a problem.

as far as the brands of pellets you have mentioned, they don't carry those in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.