Pellet Grill/Smokers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mellow

Resident Stove Connoisseur
Jan 19, 2008
Salisbury, MD
Been a while since I have seen this topic come up. Show us what you can do! Would love to swap some recipes/rubs or just general knowledge.

My Pit Boss Kc Combo:
0501211926.jpg
Pork Loin:
0516210938a_HDR.jpg

Are those rolls of bacon???

Hello
Just upgraded my 1.5 year old Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone prime to a Daniel Boone Prime Plus just before they changed the name to Ledge Plus to go along with their Mountain Theme for international sales!
The Prime Plus has a fold down front shelf and inside oven light to see what is cooking through the cooking window!
It also has a fast start white ceramic igniter for quicker warm ups and a 15 amp AC adapter upgrade from the old 10 amp to give more juice especially for the Brushless 3 Phase variable speed 12 VDC auger motor to keep the smoking temps right on the money!!
So here are some pics of a nice 3 hours smoke of some Amber Beer Brats!

Hello
Just upgraded my 1.5 year old Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone prime to a Daniel Boone Prime Plus just before they changed the name to Ledge Plus to go along with their Mountain Theme for international sales!
The Prime Plus has a fold down front shelf and inside oven light to see what is cooking through the cooking window!
It also has a fast start white ceramic igniter for quicker warm ups and a 15 amp AC adapter upgrade from the old 10 amp to give more juice especially for the Brushless 3 Phase variable speed 12 VDC auger motor to keep the smoking temps right on the money!!
So here are some pics of a nice 3 hours smoke of some Amber Beer Brats!

I've been waiting on a Green Mountain sale to upgrade my 10 year old Traeger Junior to a Peak SS.

Here is another recipe
Pork Chops in approx 30 min!

Wow i really hate this forum... makes me hungry... Looking at buying a pellet grill as im tired of big ass BBQ's and dealing with propane especially when the GF will not lite the BBQ..LOL.... and i want something smaller to pull into the shed when im done with it so it does not rot out in a few years, So do these things actually work more like a BBQ or a smoker? or is it the best of both worlds. Hoping to get one within the next week or so. Looking at a smaller pit boss as that's really the only thing available where i live other than the no name version of it but the warranty makes up the price difference.

You have vertical smokers or combo smoker/grill units. I have a combo unit and it does well for both. I have done stick smokers in the past and trying to regulate the heat was my biggest issue, this is pretty much set at 225 and forget about it for a couple hours. I still use temperature probes to keep an eye on temps. I find myself looking for things to smoke like a kid in a candy shop again.

Reactions: Don2222
Wow i really hate this forum... makes me hungry... Looking at buying a pellet grill as im tired of big ass BBQ's and dealing with propane especially when the GF will not lite the BBQ..LOL.... and i want something smaller to pull into the shed when im done with it so it does not rot out in a few years, So do these things actually work more like a BBQ or a smoker? or is it the best of both worlds. Hoping to get one within the next week or so. Looking at a smaller pit boss as that's really the only thing available where i live other than the no name version of it but the warranty makes up the price difference.

I've had a Traeger Junior (what would be the Tailgater now) for 10 years. They're a great middle of the road option 'better' than a gas grill in that you don't get flare ups so even with bacon you can throw it on at 400 and walk away. Same thing with smoking at 185 you won't get the same flavor as a stick burner but you also don't need to watch it all day.

You can literally bake anything you could in an oven we've done pies, frozen pizzas, fries, bread, hard 'boiled' eggs, etc throughout the years.

Well broke down and got one.. girlfriend was so excited she ran out and got steaks not realizing I still had to burn it off... definitely going to be a learning curve..lol.. I knew gas cooking this is slightly different... tried the smoke setting for a bit... neighbour's are going to think I'm on fire it really smokes up nice... ribs are on the agenda for tomorrow. Leave em on for the afternoon smoking...

Well broke down and got one.. girlfriend was so excited she ran out and got steaks not realizing I still had to burn it off... definitely going to be a learning curve..lol.. I knew gas cooking this is slightly different... tried the smoke setting for a bit... neighbour's are going to think I'm on fire it really smokes up nice... ribs are on the agenda for tomorrow. Leave em on for the afternoon smoking...
Which one did you get? Any Pics??

Just got a pit boss 700... nothing special but does the trick... if it rots out in 2 years like my Cuisinart bbq did I'm gonna be pissed... I just gave that pc of crap away...lol

Gotta say wow those were some of the best ribs.... you know when the gf goes back for more and eats everything including any fat they are good..lol

• Haha
Reactions: moresnow
Just a FYI... not sure if this is just select stores in Canada or both Canada and the USA. I was cruising around their website yesterday and seen the pit boss 20lb bag was on sale for $10. went and took a look they were actually hidden in the store..LOL... and not marked as on sale.. We stocked up getting enough to probably last us a year or more.. Usually pellets in my area start at $20

Ohh wow, I have been getting mine from Sams club, they have 40lb bags for $14 of comp. blend pellets, they do a good job. I was buying weber comp. blend from lowes for $16 for 20lbs.

Last edited:
Pellets around here are $1/pound, once and a while you can luck out at $30 for a 40lb bag. For that price I'm happy to keep my gas grill, besides not a fan of smoked burgers or steak.

Pellet grill use has exploded here the last 2 years, almost every night now the neighborhood smells of wood smoke. I'm no longer concerned about smoke from my wood stove in winter.

obviously a huge price just between Canadian and American pellet prices. Even the stoves are much cheaper over their about 1/4 the price

Just did a 4.5 hour 180 Deg salmon filet pellet smoke.
Got 6.0 lbs of Wild Caught Alaskan Silverbrite Salmon Filets until the meat probe read 145 Degs

B8540DDE-6947-4856-8AD8-A33FF25AD040.png 50F2E7D0-B052-4DE8-A39E-2E9190CE230D.jpeg CA90BD9A-DCC8-421A-AE5B-6BF2CA6F0F3F.jpeg 84C972A2-372E-47CA-A3FD-35003C932519.jpeg 12A1D5E4-CD93-4B48-8D65-32C648698E6B.jpeg

Tried my hand at reverse searing some steaks, it did not go as planned. I had the smoker set at 225 and I was figuring on smoking them for about 45 minutes to get to 120 internal temp, well it only took 15 minutes for them to get past 120, good thing I had the probes on them. I had to race to get them all off and let them sit while I raised the temp up to 350 and opened up the searing plate. I did sear them to get to medium well and a bit more well than I wanted.

What I learned from this, get thicker steaks if I really want to reverse sear or maybe go down to 180 on the smoker.

Attachments

• 0620211656.jpg
    0620211656.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 130
Tried my hand at reverse searing some steaks, it did not go as planned. I had the smoker set at 225 and I was figuring on smoking them for about 45 minutes to get to 120 internal temp, well it only took 15 minutes for them to get past 120, good thing I had the probes on them. I had to race to get them all off and let them sit while I raised the temp up to 350 and opened up the searing plate. I did sear them to get to medium well and a bit more well than I wanted.

What I learned from this, get thicker steaks if I really want to reverse sear or maybe go down to 180 on the smoker.
Hello
Attached below is the internal temp meat guide

According to this video you are absolutely correct, to reverse sear a steak on a pellet grill they must be atleast 1" thick.
Good to know. :)
How to Reverse Sear a Steak on a Pellet Grill | Grilla Grills Pellet Smokers - YouTube

Attachments

• SmokerTempsMeatGuideR.jpg
    SmokerTempsMeatGuideR.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 148
I finally broke down on waiting for a sale and picked up a Peak Prime SS with a pizza oven today.

It's a hell of a lot bigger than my old Traeger Junior from a decade ago.

The local dealer does the initial burn in so it was ready to go when I got it home so we made pizza for dinner. 15ish minute warm up and each pizza cooked in about 3 minutes.

PXL_20210624_190809831.jpgPXL_20210624_201030751.jpgPXL_20210624_202911696.jpgPXL_20210624_211730724.jpg