Pellet stove in the garage???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SidecarMike

Hearth Supporter
Nov 15, 2008
Northwest Wisconsin
Recently I was complaining about the noise and inefficiency of a propane torpedo heater when my son's father in law offered me a free Whitfield pellet stove. While poking around here I saw a comment about wood stoves not allowed in a garage. Could someone expand on this? My insurance agent didn't have a problem with the idea. I don't want to start cutting holes in the wall and such if there will be trouble down the road.
I should expand on this by saying it is a two car attached structure that has never had a car in it. Mostly it's my workshop and refuge. Heck, it's even carpeted.

Hmmm, my dad has a pellet stove in the garage.
Well its not really a garage, 40'x60' shop.
But we weld, cut, grind, torch and do everything else in there.
I imagine the stove is the safest thing in that shop.
He lives out of city limits, dont know if that maters or not.
Sure makes it a nice hangout when its cold outside and nothing better to do.

bfunk13 said:
Hmmm, my dad has a pellet stove in the garage.
Well its not really a garage, 40'x60' shop.
But we weld, cut, grind, torch and do everything else in there.
I imagine the stove is the safest thing in that shop.
He lives out of city limits, dont know if that maters or not.
Sure makes it a nice hangout when its cold outside and nothing better to do.
Wish mine was that big. It's about 24' by 24'. On any given day you might find a Fly Fishing bull session, a motorcycle sidecar installation :coolsmile: , an antique shotgun in pieces, a broken kayak being put back together, or a bunch of old guys in suspenders badmouthing all other brands of motorcycle except Moto Guzzi. :0)
I know the stove will be overkill, but it takes up very little space and the price is right if I can use it.

I can't see why not. You can have a car in there, and that produces combustion with it's engine, not to mention massive amounts of CO gas too. Check with your building code official

actually it is a code violation;

NFPA_211 chapter 12.2.4 "solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage"

pellet stoves are "solid fuel-burning appliances" therefore cannot be legally installed in any garage.

that said it is probably the most violated paragraph in the entire code book.

stoveguy2esw said:

NFPA_211 chapter 12.2.4 "solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage"

pellet stoves are "solid fuel-burning appliances" therefore cannot be legally installed in any garage.

And the one big problem with one of those versus the torpedo is denyability. If the place catches fire you can lose the torpedo real fast and quiet. You can't get rid of all the evidence with any sort of stove to any real degree now can you? Rest assured if you have a fire and have a stove in there you are rolling the dice at best whether or not they pay. With todays financial situation who wants to take that chance.
Personally I like a propane radiant heater like the portable Coleman and Reddy triple header. They are electric free, portable and sit right on top of a 20 or 50 lb tanks. You can also relocate it somewhat I would think using a hose if you wanted to, I like to mount the coleman on a barbecue 20 lb bottle and park it right behind me wherever I am working. It helps a lot when you can't get something inside and have to sit in the snowbank. They also make a great backup for your house heat backup and will easily heat your house to a limited extent if needed.

I have a propane one, but in addition to the noise, which is so loud I can't hear the phone ring, a $22 fill lasts me less than a week. When I bought the place it had an old Jungers fuel oil burner. It was falling apart and the wife complained about the smell sio I pulled it out and bought one of those propane things that look like a piece of stove pipe setting on the floor. It was deafening! Next I tried a Coleman Catalytic, but it only heats your feet while your fingers freeze.
The garage was once a gunshop and is still zoned commercial. I'll check and see if I can get away with it because of that. Maybe I can claim ignorance and say it was there when I bought the place. :) Thanks to all.

Have you checked with your local code enforcement office? every town in every state is different. and even if it is against code maybe this would be a good opportunity to see about having the code changed.

bill

I wonder though, what is the difference between a "garage" and a "shop"
and is it against code to install in a building named as a "shop"?
What is it exactly about a garage that makes it against code to
install a solid fuel burning appliance in one? If it's about storing
a gas can or other flammable items, someone can easily store
that stuff elsewhere. I'm not looking to install one in my garage
but I'm just curious as to what the big deal is.

parking 20 gallons of explosives next to a fire. :eek:hh:

johnnywarm said:

Yeah I understand. It's obvious if a car or other is stored
in said building but....
I know plenty of people who call their garage a workshop
and do not store cars or trucks in there.
A gas can or a car isn't a permanent fixture and not everyone
keeps these things in a garage or shop, so in
such a scenario why would a solid fuel burning appliance be against code?
Just seems like a very gray area to me.
Is any building on the property other the house classified as a "garage"?

Not trying to argue just trying to understand how they determine
whether to call a building a garage or a workshop or other.

zeta said:
johnnywarm said:

Yeah I understand. It's obvious if a car or other is stored
in said building but....
I know plenty of people who call their garage a workshop
and do not store cars or trucks in there.
A gas can or a car isn't a permanent fixture and not everyone
keeps these things in a garage or shop, so in
such a scenario why would a solid fuel burning appliance be against code?
Just seems like a very gray area to me.
Is any building on the property other the house classified as a "garage"?

Not trying to argue just trying to understand how they determine
whether to call a building a garage or a workshop or other.
It's because rules need to be clear. Ambiguity just leads to stupid things being done by stupid people and then looking for someone else to blame. A "garage" is a structure that is built to house a motor vehicle. The fact that you don't right now, doesn't preclude you from doing so tomorrow. The only way to take your "garage" and make it something else would be to remove the large door(s) and replace them with ones you couldn't get a car thru. Other structures aren't garages because they're not designed to hold cars.

You're perfectly right about people being able to bring gas cans, etc into any building but that's not approved either. Heck, a friend of mine parks his motorcycle in his living room.

It all comes down to what your insurance agent and local inspector will allow. If you can get your agent to say in writing that it's okay, the company may try to withold payment in the event of a fire but wouldn't likely be able to get away with it if your letter from their agent escaped the fire (they'd probably subrogate against his D&O;or professional liability coverage).

Not to beat a dead horse, but someone brought this topic up again in another thread. I would also like to point out that there are clauses written into the building codes that the building inspector CANNOT be held responsible. So just because your local inspector lets something slide even though You (and he) are aware that it is a violation, it is the installer's responsibility for the incorrect install, be it a contracted pro, or homeowner.

stoveguy2esw said:

have had a wood stove in the garage for 25yrs
bring me to jail! lol

Orange Crush CJ-7 said:
I would also like to point out that there are clauses written into the building codes that the building inspector CANNOT be held responsible.

Exactly, and they will never put anything in writing, I've asked them to. Even an approval sign-off on a permit does not implicate them.

Lots of people have wood stoves in their garage, they just aren't covered if that is determined to be the cause of a fire.
Mike -

I have two fiends who have pellet stoves in their commercial shops... one guy does general repair and fabricating... the other has a trim shop and does some specialty parts manufacturing.

Both told me as long as the stove has an outside air kit the insurance company didn't have a problem with a pellet stove being used for heat. They BOTH have their stoves about 18" off the floor... I guess that's to eliminate most fire hazards from gasoline fumes accumulating close to the floor.

Just be safe about it.

Forgiveness is easier had than permission. Light 'er up.

It's not about an open flame since you are allowed to have an open gas fired water heater in your garage. Or a furnace. My last house, built in 2000, allowed me to park right up next to the NG furnace. I could see the blue glow of the flames on my fender.

The difference between a shop and a garage is the garage door. Another way to get around the rule is to build a shop inside the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.