Pellet Stove Install Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT-Mike

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2008
New England
So we have a Lopi freedom insert downstairs that we have been using for 4 seasons now and we are loving it. Does a good job of keeping the oil man at bay. We are in the process of completing an addition above the garage which will add approximately 500 square feet to our 1812 square foot Colonial.

I would like to just install something like a Jotul in the bonus room and just use one fuel, but the wife brings up a good point about sawdust and crap all through the house from carrying loads of wood upstairs. So we have decided on a Harman XXV as we want the look of a traditional wood stove.

So I called the local Harman dealer yesterday and asked a few questions about the install. The stove will be n the back wall of the room between two windows. The dealer recommending going with the OAK and just venting the exhaust straight out 12" past the siding to meet code. From the reading I have done on here so far, most people seem to lean towards some vertical in the exhaust. Why is that, will it improve stove performance?

Any other traditional wood stove type pellet stoves out there to consider besides the XXV, and the Quadrafire Mt. Vernon?

Thanks,

Mike

well, without an OAK, you need 4' from the termination of the vent to an operable window and/or door....with the OAK, that 4' becomes 18". If you cant satisfy that 18" due to the physical proximity of the windows, you will need to add some verticality (heh) to your exhaust setup....if you can meet the 18" requirement, you dont need to......some folks like the vertical install because you still have natural draft (well, a little, maybe), if the power goes out and you will be less likely to get exhaust bleed through any little hole or gap into the living space.

there are MANY stoves out there! What about a P43? Easy to service and cheaper. Same utilities such as autoignition and thermostatic control, but a bigger ash pan......some folks like to XXV look, and that we really cant mitigate. As for Quad...good units as well......

never does any good to talk poorly about different brands, so, my advice would be for you to do your research, talk to dealers and owners....dont worry, Im sure youll get alot of opinions here soon!

Lousyweather,

Thanks for the quick reply. I do plan to use an OAK just to minimize the chances of drawing a negative pressure in the house and getting smoke in. I am a little confused on your 18" statement though. The dealer tells me that as long as the exhaust with the OAK goes 12" past the siding, nothing else is needed. He seemed to be saying that the exhaust could be right next to a window as long as it extended 12" out the side of the house.

Thanks,

Mike

The vertical is not needed and really doesnt do much in the way of performance. Its more insurance than anything. Say your power goes out? If you have an OAK hooked up and a 3-4 rise, then the stove will probably continue to naturally draft and leave no smoke in the home.

But some direct vent installs do this too. So the option is your. Just abide by the clearances Lousyweather stated above and you should be fine..

As for other stoves that have a traditional wood stove look? The XXV and Mt. Vernon are nice units. The Envirofire M-55 Cast is another nice unit. And Hearthstone now makes a pellet stove and it looks like there Soapstone wood stoves. Very beautiful. The Quadrafire Castile is a smaller stove (about 30,000 BTU), but is a good heater and would be up to the task for your addition.

Lousyweather,

Thanks for the quick reply. I do plan to use an OAK just to minimize the chances of drawing a negative pressure in the house and getting smoke in. I am a little confused on your 18" statement though. The dealer tells me that as long as the exhaust with the OAK goes 12" past the siding, nothing else is needed. He seemed to be saying that the exhaust could be right next to a window as long as it extended 12" out the side of the house.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike- as with any UL listed appliance, you have to follow the directions in your manual. Sadly, your manual states nothing about what your dealer said....
here is the namual for the XXV:

http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/XXV.pdf

check out item B on page 8. The 12" only applies if its a stationary, permanently closed unit. You CAN get away with 12" above the window, but pay attention if soffits are there, because you need to be 12" below if unventilated, or 18" if ventilated.....although I dont wholly agree with your dealer, I do agree that the farther from the siding the better.....follow the installation instructions!

Just got back from Preston Trading Post after looking at the Mt. Vernon and the M55 cast. Both seemed to be very nice units, and this dealer is much more local to me than the Harman dealer. Bonus is that the M55 is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than the other two. Time to do some more research among the 3 units.

good show......talk to a bunch of folks, get a bunch of opinions, then make an informed judgement.....

Reactions: save$
Based on my initial read of the install manuals I am currently leaning towards the M55. The exhaust port is off-center which allows me to center the stove between two windows and not have the exhaust hit the stud that is right in the center of the windows.

Based on my initial read of the install manuals I am currently leaning towards the M55. The exhaust port is off-center which allows me to center the stove between two windows and not have the exhaust hit the stud that is right in the center of the windows.

The M-55 is a very nice stove and many here have one.

When at your dealer next, ask if it has all tue updates (auger flight cover plate and new convection blower).

Are you looking at the Cast model or the Steel model. The cast is nice, but I personally would lean toward Steel. The looks would fit my home better and it has a bigger hopper and ash pan.

But the Cast has more of the traditional (Jotul stove look) feel to it.

Reactions: CT-Mike
We are looking at the cast model. The wife wants a stove that looks similar to a traditional free-standing wood stove, so that's why we are limiting our search currently to Harman XXV, M55 Cast, and the Mt. Vernon. As we all know, if the wife ain't happy, no one's happy.

On another note, I am looking into getting a few tons of pellets now as well before prices start to rise. A local dealer sells the following:

- Inferno Premium - listed at < 1% ash
- Geneva 100% Hardwood Super Premium - listed at 0.5% ash
- Spruce Pointe Ultra Premium - listed at 0.5% ash

Has anyone dealt with State Line Wood Pellets in CT?

I would appreciate any feedback on any of these brands.

Thanks for all the help,

Mike

Do not buy Infernos!!!!! Ever.....!!!

The Spruce Pointes seem to be a Good Pellet here (Softwoods are generally a hotter and cleaner burning pellet).

The M-55 is a multi fuel stove and has an agitator in the burn pot. This helps it burn good, bad, and ugly pellets... But its always best to try before you make a large purchase.

If one was to make a large purchase. I would buy a well known pellet that burns well in any stove. Softwoods are typically all pretty good. If going hardwood, there are a few around that get pretty good reviews. I dont know if they get up your way, but Hamers, Turmans, and Somersets are all good Hardwood pellets.

So I am adding the Lopi Leyden into my list of possible stoves. We have had very good luck with our Freedom insert, and I read the recommended pellet stove thread here where it was recommended as the best freestanding stove.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike- All stoves you mention is good choices- prob gonna be hard to get better value than the M55. Good performer too- stay away from inferno pellets!! Preston (PTP) good place to get info- used to work there, their prices are hard to beat- are you doing install?? I would also suggest the little Empress cast stove from Enviro 34K BTUs good for about 1000-1200 sqft, reasonable quietness- the M55 is quietest available unit, I prefer the steel unit too, but the cast in your case (the wife wants that look) seems to be the smart choice. I like the M55 from a service point too, altho all the units listed are good high quality stoves. If you don't need the extra heat, and the self cleaning and multi fuel capability and super quietness though, the Quad Castille or Enviro Empress good choices too. The M55 in black paint should run you around 3850, and enamels about 400-500 more. Let us know what you choose.

Stovelark
Enviro 1700 Kodiak FS wood
Enviro EF3 pellet FS
Enviro Empress A/C FPI (gee, I do like Enviro)

Stove,

Actually PTP has the M55 Cast in black on sale for $3579. Leaning more and more towards that model. Additional bonus is that they have it in stock so I know I will be able to burn the stove this winter. Will probably make my decision and purchase by next Friday. One nice thing is that they will deliver and bring it upstairs for $119. Totally worth it to me considering what I went through to get the 800# gun safe up the stairs.

You wouldn't happen to still get an employee discount would you? :)

Hi again Mike- Wow- good price on M55 Retail now is almost 4100, we sell it for 3850 3579 is a great price- delivery is always a good ideal too ha
No ex employee disc but still have good relationship with Joe (Mr Biber). You are getting a great stove for all it does and its quiet. I think Enviro is the best value out there for pellet stoves, but there are a lot of good pellet stoves- make sure your installer gets it sealed up tight silicone on the exhaust connections, check for any pellet dust leaks on underside of hopper, little things that make the stove stay cleaner. Good luck.

Stovelark
Enviro 1700 Kodiak FS wood
Enviro EF3 FS pellet
Enviro Empress A/C FPI pellet

Just found a one year old Lopi Leyden in brown enamel for sale locally for $2500. E-mailing the seller to see why they are selling it after only one season. Saving over $1000 just may sway me in that direction.

Just found a one year old Lopi Leyden in brown enamel for sale locally for $2500. E-mailing the seller to see why they are selling it after only one season. Saving over $1000 just may sway me in that direction.
If it looks good offer $2000. Don't hurt to try. More money for pellets... ;)

Reactions: DexterDay
If it looks good offer $2000. Don't hurt to try. More money for pellets... ;)

Yep.... I always leave "Wiggle room" when I sell something. Makes the buyer think they got a deal ;) Meanwhile I still get the price I wanted..

Good stove. IMO, offer them $2200.

Turns out they are selling it because they live in a condo, it is not installed per code and are forced to remove it. Was just installed last year and used one season. Unfortunately I can't go look at it until Sunday since I am on nights this week. Hopefully it doesn't sell before then.

Hi Mike again have worked on many (cleaned) Lopi Leydens baeutiful stove in that color If you can get better price all the better, not as many features as the M55, but for day in day out usage wonderful choice. Hope you get it if thats the one.

Stovelark
Enviro 1700 FS Kodiak wood
Enviro EF3 FS pellet
Enviro Empress A/C FPI pellet guess I like Enviro

A Leyden for 2500 is a great deal. One of my favorite cast stoves neck and neck with the XXV. I like the XXV more from a maintenance standpoint but like the look of the Leyden more.

So I am adding the Lopi Leyden into my list of possible stoves. We have had very good luck with our Freedom insert, and I read the recommended pellet stove thread here where it was recommended as the best freestanding stove.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

I have the Lopi Leyden and like it a lot. I'm probably not far from you. About 6 miles from PTP.

Rickhorn,

Thanks for the input. How is the actual maintenance on the Leyden compared to what the manual calls for? Just looking for some first hand experience before buying. I stopped at Lowe's yesterday and all I saw out front were GS and Inferno's. We're the GT's out in the yard? I am looking to buy at least 4 tons this weekend.

Maintenance just like user manual. Pretty easy to clean out. The convection fan is oil-able and has two yellow plastic oil plugs. Exhaust blower is sealed. Had a bad blowers and some noise issues when first bought it but has run great since. I have no complaints.

I believe the GT's are out back. Wife called and was told they had them. Waterford has also - Father-in-law picked up two tons (one for me) from there Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.