Pellet stove source of fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanna bet the stove was neglected in the cleaning deptartment. Like any wood fired appliance. It has to be maintained/properly cleaned to be safe. Push off the work detail and your asking for trouble. Ask anyone that has had a chimney fire!

I completely agree, but it still would be interesting to find out what they did (or didn't do)

Hello

I have had a chimney fire in the old black single wall pipe from my wood stove which I no longer have. That was from creosote but did not set the house on fire! Wood Pellet stoves do not create very much creosote and the pellet pipe is better than the old single wall black pipe??

However I do agree J that they must be kept clean!!!

The only other thing I can think of is if the flue goes straight out with no vertical rise, then the wind can cause a burn back in the hopper!
Last night, The very high winds could have been the contributing factor that set it off!
Also it went down to 15 degrees last night so the stove could have been on a very high heat setting.

I saw the home owner on TV. He said the pellet stove was smoking and the house was on fire behind the pellet stove. I have porcelain tile behind my pellet stove which is on cement board. He must have had something more flammable behind his pellet stove!

Hopefully we can learn something from this terrible accident.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.eagletribune.com/newhampshire/x2018345520/Fire-sends-family-into-the-cold
December 28, 2010
Fire sends family into the cold

By John Toole, Allegra Boverman and J.J. Huggins Staff Writers The Eagle Tribune Tue Dec 28, 2010, 12:51 AM EST

DERRY — A family using a pellet stove to keep cozy last night had to flee into the brutal cold when their house went up in flames.

The fire was the most serious incident reported in the wake of a winter storm that brought snow and high winds to southern New Hampshire.

Firefighters from Derry and several neighboring communities were called to 12 Eastman Drive for a two-alarm fire that destroyed the single-family home.

"Everyone got out fine," said the homeowner, Mark Salvucci, 43.

Firefighters entered the burning house and rescued a pet ferret, Salvucci said.

Salvucci said he was on his way home from work at the time of the fire. Neighbors said his wife, Michelle, works at Dunkin Donuts and was wearing only her work uniform when she hurried outside. Salvucci's father, Anthony, who is visiting from Florida, said the family lost money and presents in the inferno.

Neighbors brought clothing to the family, who kept warm in a sport utility vehicle while firefighters fought the blaze.

Anthony Salvucci said the fire originated from the pellet stove. He said he was sitting at the table using his computer when his wife ran into the room and told him the house was on fire.

Fire Battalion Chief Michael Doyle said the fire is under investigation. He said firefighters received a 911 call from the home reporting the fire at 6:49 p.m. He said they arrived within five to six minutes and found heavy smoke and fire. He said the house is now uninhabitable.

Mark Salvucci said he and his family will stay with his in-laws in Derry. His family lived on Eastman Drive for five years, he said. The property was assessed at $219,500.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.wmur.com/news/26297556/detail.html

Fire officials in Derry say a fire that broke out at a home on Eastman Street Monday night left a family displaced.
DERRY, N.H. -- Fire officials in Derry said a house fire that broke out Monday night left a family of five displaced.

Firefighters were called to the home at 12 Eastman Street around 7 p.m. Monday. Officials said by the time crews arrived, the house was already heavily involved with smoke.

Fire officials said the house was destroyed in the fire. The cause remains under investigation, but the people staying there said they first noticed smoke pouring out of the pellet stove.

"My wife came running down and said the house is on fire I said it's the pellet stove and smoke was pouring out of it and I loomed out back and the whole back of the house was engulfed in flames. It just took of so fast I said get the dog get your coat and get out of the house" said Tony Salvucci.

The Derry fire department said two adults inside the house at the time managed to safely escape, but a pet was lost in the fire. Officials said three firefighters were injured while battling the fire. Two of the firefighters suffered minor burns to their head and face. A third firefighter was taken to a hospital after experiencing difficulties breathing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.1rbn.com/webpages/news/displaynews.aspx?ID=21612bb9-6e1d-4e04-a6db-f8fbc0b3cade
Derry Fire responded to 12 Eastman Drive on December 27, 2010 for a reported structure fire at 6:48 P.M.
On arrival Battalion Chief Doyle reports he has a 40x30 Feet 2.5 story wood frame contemporary with heavy smoke showing.
First arriving companies make an extremely aggressive interior attack and were driven out after an extremely violent flash over of the entire first floor, sending three Fire Fighters to the Parkland Medical Center. A second alarm was immediately sounded and crews went to a defensive attack. The Members were treated and later released with minor injuries.
Crews battled this blaze in 17 degree temperatures with wind gusts at 38 M.P.H. at the tail end of a blizzard in the New England area.
The home was occupied at the time of the blaze by two visitors of the home owners and were able to self evacuate prior to the arrival of fire companies.
The cause of this blaze is under investigation by the Derry Fire Prevention Bureau and is not suspicious.
Mutual Aid was provided by Auburn, Hudson, Londonderry, Manchester, Salem and Windham at the scene. The fire occurred in an area without hydrants and required tankers from Atkinson, Auburn, Chester, Sandown and Windham. Station coverage was provided by Raymond, Hooksett, Danville, and Pelham.

Attachments

• PelletStoveHouseFire.jpg
    PelletStoveHouseFire.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 581
  • pellet stove fire.jpg
    pellet stove fire.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 564
  • PSF.jpg
    PSF.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 560
This sort of thing is always a tragedy when it happens.

The cleaning thing, instalation, type of pipe and a host of other things can certainly relate to the cause.

I personally do like like nor will I, run a pellet stove on the high setting.

With a new setup my Advantage runs about 150F onn the outside of the pipe where it enters the thimble at the inside wall.

I haave no idea how hot it would get on high and dont plan on checking it out.

At 150F there is nearly no chance of a fire breaking out.

Now, with us having never seen the instalation, we can only speculate as to the cause.

With smoke pouring from the stove, something failed.

A draft fan that failed and possibly allowed a burn back into the hopper.

The make/model of the stove could possibly shed some light onto the issue also.

A neglected chimney/vent thats nearly plugged, plus a serious back flow due to heavy wind.

Geeeeeeeeez the possibilities are pretty large.

My ??? is why did soemone not notice the anomaly before it got that bad ???

Any time we bring fire into our homes, we must be ever vigilant as to how we treat that fire.

Given sloppy handling, our wonderful pellet stove can turn and bite the hand that feeds it.

The Advantage I bought last winter was so full of dust, loose pellets and cob webs that its a wonder that it had not had issues.

A clean stove is a safe stove.

If you find out anything more, please post it.

My bet is that after that much of a burn, that actual cause may be tough to pin down. Now I know that the forensic fire science boys are good, BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT once the entire area is torched it may be tough to say exactly what happened.

Smoke pouring from the stove is definately not a good thing for sure.

The passthrough thimble area is a possibility for sure.

Snowy

Hello Snowy

My ??? is why did soemone not notice the anomaly before it got that bad ???

Well one report states there were only 2 visitors in the home at the time of the fire. (Approx 7pm)

If they were not familiar with the house and stove, that is one more issue that did not help!

I feel sorry for them when they have to tell the home owner what happened! :-(

There seems to be a credibility problem with the press. They have already said it's the stove, based on the comment by the owner,

""My wife came running down and said the house is on fire I said it's the pellet stove and smoke was pouring out of it and I loomed out back and the whole back of the house was engulfed in flames. "

Could it be the back of the house is also where the stove is vented and the smoke backed up the exhaust. Suddenly noticed smoke in the stove and a house rear on fire doesn't fit for me.

I see all kinds of stoves get bad raps on the news, and later "real" findings of cause are something else. Last example I can think of is the Dryer Lint fire that started a fire that burned down a million dollar home locally. It was first blamed on a fireplace out of control. Right spot in the home wrong floor.

I find it very hard to believe a proper installed pellet stove, even with poor maintenance, would cause a house fire.
They are loaded with safety shut down features.

When a house burns from an electrical issue do you turn the power off in your house?

Hello

I see all kinds of stoves get bad raps on the news, and later “real†findings of cause are something else. Last example I can think of is the Dryer Lint fire that started a fire that burned down a million dollar home locally. It was first blamed on a fireplace out of control. Right spot in the home wrong floor.

Good point, just because the pellet stove showed a little smoke does not mean anything!
Maybe the back of the house being on fire made the pellet stove smoke.

"Heck if there is a fire near the pellet stove air intake, then smoke would get into the pellet stove!!"

Fire could be caused by cigarette or wind blowing down an electric line!

Status
Not open for further replies.