Pellet Stove Thermometer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I would like to see how much heat the brand of wood pellets is putting out.
What is a good thermometer to get and how much does it cost?

Also wher is the best place to put it?

I have an Avalon Astoria with the 3 sided glass front and 10 round heat exchanger tubes.

Don

Attachments

• FinalPelStovePicScaled2.jpg
    FinalPelStovePicScaled2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 887
Don2222 said:
Hello

I have an Avalon Astoria with the 3 sided glass front and 10 round heat exchanger tubes.

Don

Do you mean a thermometer, or thermostat?

Hi

Yes, thermometer to see how much heat the pellets are putting out.

Thanks
Don

Easiest thing is to get a magnetic one from a stove store, it's great as a comparative tool for pellets. If you're looking for absolutes you'll need a sensor and gauge or I/R gun or similar. I have a magnetic one and it allows me to compare brand A to brand B easily by mounting it on the hottest exterior surface and glancing at the results. If you want to determine how hot the the fire is, that's another thing altogether.

Hi

Thanks Canada Clinker, I bought a Rutland Magnetic Stove Thermometer at the hardware store last night. Thanks Nectardan, it is just like the one in your link.

However Canada Clinker, just like you, I wish I had something more accurate. BTW the link to JC Whitney Page says it is no longer there.

I do have a small digital Radio Shack hand held IR Thermometer to measure the air coming out but it is much better to have a thermocoupler in the heat exchanger tube like you do!

Please let me know if I can buy something similar to what you have on the internet somewhere. The accuracy would be really helpful in making the auger rate setting adjustments and also help with the Brand of pellets I buy!!

Don

There re lots of choices for temps .....from IR guns, meat thermometers, fluke meters with thermocouples, styles, calibrations, etc. Important thing is to be sure what ever you decide to buy is kept at the same spot, depth,length of timeat heat load, etc. Repeatability is important. Many variables are involved, try to keep them at a minimum. Try to write your findings down and keep them in a safe spot for reference.

Schoondog

Magnetic stove thermometers are notoriously inaccurate and they give a surface temperature reading only. Not much good when trying to asses air temp output. I had one on a wood stove that read 125F when the stove was cold. IR thermometers are very accurate but only read radiant temp and must be perpendicular to the surface for best results. Again not great for air temps. A very good low cost option is a digital oven thermometer. Just take your reading from the same area of the stove every time.

Don2222 said:
Hello

I would like to see how much heat the brand of wood pellets is putting out.

Don

How about a el cheapo oven thermometer from Wal-Mart for $5.99. All you have to do is bend the bottom edges to fit the convection blower output on the front of your stove and you're ready to go. Not laboratory accurate but it gives you fairly good idea of what your stove is doing.

Attachments

• stovetherm1.jpg
    stovetherm1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 738
Hi

I was thinking more of something like this for $25. Has anyone tried something like this???

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=8646003

Large pic
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/large_image.asp?sku=8646003&img=86460_03 _05.jpg

This meter has a 4-ft. ribbon micro-cable that allows you to place the probe within an area and close the door without affecting the probe or the door seal. Accurately monitor temperature within freezers, water baths, heating blocks, incubators, refrigerators, and other areas. The meter includes a fast-response type-K probe that can be used for general purpose applications. Users can also choose from a wide verity of probe sold separately for surface, liquid, air or semi-solid materials.
What's Included:
one beaded-wire type K probe, NIST-traceable certificate, leatherette case, and one 9 V battery
Specifications
Temp range -58 to 1382°F
Resolution 1°F
Accuracy ±2°F .75% between 32 to 932°F and ±2°F 1% between 933 to 1382°F. Below 32 accuracies are: -4 ± 8°F, -40°F ± 8°F, and -58°F ± 10°F
Probe Thermocouple
Display 4-digit LCD, 0.7" high
Probe type Type-K
Probe(s) included Yes
Dimensions 2 3/4" W x 4 1/4”H x 3/4” (76 x 114 x 18mm).
Power 9-Volt Alkaline battery (included)

Attachments

• DigitalTherm.jpg
    DigitalTherm.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 622
Don2222 said:
Hi

I was thinking more of something like this for $25. Has anyone tried something like this???

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=8646003

Large pic
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/large_image.asp?sku=8646003&img=86460_03 _05.jpg

This meter has a 4-ft. ribbon micro-cable that allows you to place the probe within an area and close the door without affecting the probe or the door seal. Accurately monitor temperature within freezers, water baths, heating blocks, incubators, refrigerators, and other areas. The meter includes a fast-response type-K probe that can be used for general purpose applications. Users can also choose from a wide verity of probe sold separately for surface, liquid, air or semi-solid materials.
What's Included:
one beaded-wire type K probe, NIST-traceable certificate, leatherette case, and one 9 V battery
Specifications
Temp range -58 to 1382°F
Resolution 1°F
Accuracy ±2°F .75% between 32 to 932°F and ±2°F 1% between 933 to 1382°F. Below 32 accuracies are: -4 ± 8°F, -40°F ± 8°F, and -58°F ± 10°F
Probe Thermocouple
Display 4-digit LCD, 0.7" high
Probe type Type-K
Probe(s) included Yes
Dimensions 2 3/4" W x 4 1/4”H x 3/4” (76 x 114 x 18mm).
Power 9-Volt Alkaline battery (included)

Hi Don, that's a neat looking digital thermometer and would work great by the looks. I prefer low tech stuff for applications like a pellet stove, the less complicated it is, the less that can go wrong. If it goes bad, I just drive over to Wal-Mart and buy another one for $5.99 and no batteries required. The money I save can go for pellets and beer as some of the more well known forum members will recommend!----Lorne.

This is what I use on a daily basis. I just changed over today from Maine Woods pellets to Greene Team. After watching the auger swallow the last of the Maine Woods I threw in the Greene Team and with no other changes to the unit saw a 5+ degree difference between pellets. It's made by Cooper Atkins.

The Maine Woods were running 111.3 to 117.5 degrees on heat setting #3

The Greene Team are running 120.2 to 123.8 degrees on heat setting #3

Attachments

• DPP400W_small.jpg
    DPP400W_small.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 632
Hello

Thanks for the example. It seems like an accurate digital is the best way to compare pellet brands. I was testing Maine Woods Pellets and I thought they did not burn as hot as the nice Logik-e pellets that I am running out of!!

Is this similar to what you have for approx $23?
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=9000061

Do you stick the probe in all the way and leave it there for a while?

Don

.......here's the 'remote' thermometers I spoke of earlier.(someone mentioned a link wasn't working).... Thermometer 1 and Thermometer 2 ........I'm using 'Thermometer 1' with my 'remote' receiver displaying 214F air output temp ....unit about 15 ft away from the stove beside favorite chair and with stove percolating on Low ...... again my setup looks like pics below.....(click on pics to enlarge)....... cc :)

Attachments

• Probe Locn.jpg
    Probe Locn.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 635
  • Sender.jpg
    Sender.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 652
  • Receiver.jpg
    Receiver.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 631
Don2222 said:
Hello

Thanks for the example. It seems like an accurate digital is the best way to compare pellet brands. I was testing Maine Woods Pellets and I thought they did not burn as hot as the nice Logik-e pellets that I am running out of!!

Is this similar to what you have for approx $23?
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=9000061

Do you stick the probe in all the way and leave it there for a while?

Don

I leave mine in all the time and turn it on every so often to see what the temp is compared to the heat setting and such and then shut it back off.

Hi Canadian Clinker

That is a slick remote thermometer, I like that one the best!!!

Don2222 said:
Hi Canadian Clinker

That is a slick remote thermometer, I like that one the best!!!

Hey Don.......it's a lot of fun watchin how the stove performs with different types of pellets in it.....better than watchin old 'reruns' of the 'Forest Rangers'..... (well almost!!) ....cc :lol:

any suggestions as to where to locate the probe on englander 25 pdv.i have been playing around with it for an hour or so and getting various readings.the 5 holes over the door on the front of the unit blow the air out.should i just insert in those holes or hold it on the outside.

Cheap probe type digital meat thermometer from Ikea, probe bag-tied to the middle of the hot air outlet. I had to cut the wires to the alarm because it kept resetting the alarm temp and going off, but otherwise works great. Display has a magnet which sticks to the front of the stove, and the original battery has lasted over a year. It was about $7, picked up on a trip to the big city.

Hello Again

Tried to order the one like yours Canadian Clinker but Canadian Tire will not ship to US!! So I found a similar Marerick, not the one in your link. The Maverick ET7 on Amazon.com and I ordered it. Thanks All for your help!!

Maverick ET-7 Remote-Check Wireless Thermometer With 2 Probes
Other Maverick Industries products
3.2 out of 5 stars See all reviews (175 customer reviews)
175 Reviews
5 star:
(49)
4 star:
(43)
3 star:
(25)
2 star:
(18)
1 star:
(40)

› See all 175 customer reviews...
List Price: $79.99
Price: $39.14 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $40.85 (51%)
Special Offers Available
o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o
In Stock.

Product Features

* Monitor two different foods at one time.
* Works wirelessly up to 100 feet.
* Probe and wire are rated for over 500 degrees.
* Elapsed cooking timer
* Batteries included

Product Details

* Product Dimensions: 6 x 2 x 3 inches ; 1 pounds
* Shipping Weight: 1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
* Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S. and to APO/FPO addresses. For APO/FPO shipments, please check with the manufacturer regarding warranty and support issues.
* ASIN: B00004SZ10
* Item model number: ET-7
* Batteries: 4 AA batteries required. (included)
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Attachments

• MaverickET7DigiTherm.jpg
    MaverickET7DigiTherm.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 484
......hey Don....... nice find!! :) ........ for fun, you could set it up to see how the left side of your stove compares to the right side ...... or you could put one in your stove and another one in a turkey and keep an eye on both at the same time!! ....... or here's one...... monitor the air temp 'before' it goes into the exchanger of your stove and monitor it when it leaves the exchanger into the room, to see how much heat is 'added' to the air with a particular pellet burning..... neat!!! .......lots of possibilities...... now I'm sure you will be checking back with us regularly with ur testing results........... cc :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.