Pelpro PP60-B new owner with some stupid ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sweaty

Dec 13, 2021
USA
Hello, Just purchased a Pelpro PP60B and fired it up with an extension cord. Haven't installed it yet.

From what I can tell, the blower fan is pretty loud. If in the same room as my TV, I would have to crank up the volume by more than a couple of clicks.

I was thinking, is it possible to run the stove without the fan, assuming that I don't care about blowing the hot air everywhere, since I mostly will just use it as a local heat source? With the fan unplugged, will it confuse the control board?

Also, there is a lot of room in the cabinet for a small fan. Is it possible to put a quite small fan in there to replace the loud blower?

Stupid ideas or doable?

Without the convection blower your stove will overheat and shut off. Only stove I know of that has an ambient/fireplace mode is the harman. You could try diff blowers but im afraid it won’t make that big of a difference without putting the stove in an overheat zone.

It sounds like your unit is new. You could always look and see if you could lube the bearings. It might quite it down some.

Is it just fan noise, or is it rattling etc?

you have fired it up with none of the duct work installed its going to be much louder than when its installed properly... I don't even notice the fans on mine anymore

Reactions: Mt Bob
Without the convection blower your stove will overheat and shut off. Only stove I know of that has an ambient/fireplace mode is the harman. You could try diff blowers but im afraid it won’t make that big of a difference without putting the stove in an overheat zone.
Thanks for the reply!

The blowers are poorly made for sure. The fan noise comes from two sources: the air movement and the mechanical movement. Nothing we can do about air noise. Maybe I'll try a better blower. I am also thinking putting a fan at the bottom of the cabinet and have it blow up.

This stove is still new to me and I don't know where all the sensors are.

you have fired it up with none of the duct work installed its going to be much louder than when its installed properly... I don't even notice the fans on mine anymore
I sat the stove in the room which has a sliding door. Then I connected the pipes straight out through the door to the backyard and then fired it up. Kind of like a simulation run. The fan was pretty loud. The stove is new and that is the normal noise. I am not sure how much a difference it will make once the pipes are all permanent.

But noise is very subjective so it is hard to tell either.

It sounds like your unit is new. You could always look and see if you could lube the bearings. It might quite it down some.

Is it just fan noise, or is it rattling etc?
The unit is new. It is just fan noise, normal air flow noise plus the mechanical movement. Loud to me. Might be ok to other people though.

It is an economy stove,after all.
But if I put in a shiny stereo with all sorts of bells and whistles, my beat up rusty bucket could at least sound better, right? :)

I can put in an expensive quite fan and make it worth twice as much.

How about a speed control on the distribution fan? Wouldn't mess with the combustion fan though.

Reactions: sweaty
How about a speed control on the distribution fan? Wouldn't mess with the combustion fan though.
I just might try that. I added a distribution blower to one other gas stove we have. That fan is half the size and the blades are horizontal like the one in this Pelpro. So I kinda know how to wire these things.

I still might try a squirrel cage fan like the exhaust fan in this stove. They are much quieter.

Your convection blower should already be a squirrel cage. If you plan on changing anyway watch the amperage and don’t exceed the factory motor specs

Your convection blower should already be a squirrel cage. If you plan on changing anyway watch the amperage and don’t exceed the factory motor specs
My terminology can be totally off. There are two fans in this stove. One is the distribution fan, which looks like a tube with blades and is installed horizontally. The other one is centrifugal blower. This one blows the exhaust out. This fan runs much quieter than the tube/blade fan.

I have seen pictures of other stove that uses the centrifugal blower as the distribution fan. With enough room and matching CFM and amperage, this might work.

If you take a good look at your convection/distribution blower you will find it to be a long squirrel cage blower.

If you take a good look at your convection/distribution blower you will find it to be a long squirrel cage blower.
16396206510373835265199605245458.jpg

I took a picture of them. Like I said my terminology can be totally off. This is all new to me. The one at the top is the distribution fan. Loud. The one at the bottom is the exhaust fan, enclosed in a cage. It is much quieter. I have seen stoves using this type of fans to distribute heat. The mouth of the fan faces up, and blows air through the cavity of the firebox.

Last edited:
You are way off,on almost all. Here is your lesson of the day. 1, the air for the combustion blower does not come in where you think it does. A CB is inline and it SUCKS air out of the fire box. Making the stove a negative pressure stove. Positive pressure stoves are all but extinct, they were known to be very dangerous. You are looking at the motor, and have no idea what type of impeller is inside. Well it is a standard open blade. You never see one of these used for convection, because they do not work well,"open air". Almost all, if not all,now, use some form of "squirrel cage", just some are longer, some are more enclosed. Your type-long and open- is commonly referred to as a "tangential". They are used for several reasons, such as better/more air flow through a larger opening. and noise. Tangentials are always quieter than other types, given the same cfm airflow. You reduce the airflow in your stove, it will probably overheat and shut down. You change the airflow, and you could cause cold spots,leading to blockage. You modify any device in your house,and, if you happen to have a fire, your insurance can refuse to compensate you.
Combustion impeller-
th.jpg

And you can see what a tangential looks like, you have one.

You are way off,on almost all. Here is your lesson of the day. 1, the air for the combustion blower does not come in where you think it does. A CB is inline and it SUCKS air out of the fire box. Making the stove a negative pressure stove. Positive pressure stoves are all but extinct, they were known to be very dangerous. You are looking at the motor, and have no idea what type of impeller is inside. Well it is a standard open blade. You never see one of these used for convection, because they do not work well,"open air". Almost all, if not all,now, use some form of "squirrel cage", just some are longer, some are more enclosed. Your type-long and open- is commonly referred to as a "tangential". They are used for several reasons, such as better/more air flow through a larger opening. and noise. Tangentials are always quieter than other types, given the same cfm airflow. You reduce the airflow in your stove, it will probably overheat and shut down. You change the airflow, and you could cause cold spots,leading to blockage. You modify any device in your house,and, if you happen to have a fire, your insurance can refuse to compensate you.
Combustion impeller-

And you can see what a tangential looks like, you have one.
"tangential" is the word I didn't know about. I knew that the combustion blower has "open blade". They look like this:
1639666630230.png

I also saw some stove use a distribution fan like this:

1639666702700.png

This convection blower uses blades to move air. It looks just like the Pelpro Combustion blower when enclosed. People loosely call these fans squirrel cage blowers, even though they use different blades. That is why I was trying to get the terminology right, with little background on these things at all.

Here’s some reading that should help….

Reactions: sweaty