People with Plasma or LCD tv's near wood burner??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailblaze

Aug 20, 2008
South West PA
I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge on owning a plasma or lcd in the same room as the wood burner with temps in that room in the low 80's to 90's at times all winter long?

i've read that if the ambient temp is over 90 degrees then it's too hot for them to run for "long" periods of time. well what do they consider long? Appearantly it just shortens the life span of the unit. Which is what? 20 yrs normal life span droppign down to 10 yrs?

whats your thoughts?

Hello,

I have a 50" Samsung Plasma mounted on the wall approximately 5 feet from my Jotul F 400 Castine. We're not concerned, I do not think it's a problem. This Plasma is pretty efficient and does not get warm like previous models. I don't think it'll have any ill effects on the television's life span. I think it's a perfect combination....Sitting on the sofa watch HD and a beautiful fire, what else could you want?

heat kills electronics

big plasma is in the tv room and small lcd is in the bed room

Plenty of threads - a search will bring them up..

Stevebass4 said:
heat kills electronics

Absolutely correct. The wattage rating of electronic components are dependant upon their ability to dissipate heat. As the ability to disiipate heat decreases so to does its life expectancy. I believe it is a logarithmic relationship, possibly exponential.

90 degrees is still well within the ambient temperature operating range of TV's. This range should be printed in the technical specifications of your manual.

My LCD is about 5 feet from my stove in the living room. For the first few days I kept an eye on the temperature of the TV, putting my hand on it in various places to check to make sure it wasn't getting to warm. The TV really doesn't get that hot.

-SF

I know of a few people that use their plasma tvs for room heaters. :)

I would just like to add, in order to set your expectations, that the days of TV's lasting 20 years are over.

The industry seems to be very successfully pushing TV's into the same type of upgrade cycle (although, maybe slightly slower) as PC's. If you're lucky, you'll get probably 5-7 years out of a TV. Getting 10 years out of one will be nearly unheard of.

-SF

...should only be a problem if you seriously roast your home? I have a flat panel* in the same room as the fireplace, maybe twelve feet away, but I don't let the house get hotter than maybe 80 degrees with the stove. It's hotter than that in the summer, and the display is fine.

*Apple HD Cinema 23". Your mileage may vary.

52" Sony LCD is about 5 feet from the stove. I did NOT mount it on the wall as I figured as much air movement around the unit would be beneficial.

SlyFerret said:
90 degrees is still well within the ambient temperature operating range of TV's. This range should be printed in the technical specifications of your manual.

My LCD is about 5 feet from my stove in the living room. For the first few days I kept an eye on the temperature of the TV, putting my hand on it in various places to check to make sure it wasn't getting to warm. The TV really doesn't get that hot.

-SF
Indeed. If 90 were too hot, they'd require you to have air conditioning in the summer in much of the USA, or void the warranty. I have an LCD TV in the same room as the Oslo. I figure it has the same ambient temperature conditions in mid-winter as I'd have in mid-summer without A/C. Since I do have A/C, then it only sees this high ambient service when it's coldest outside! Kind of ironic.

13 years in management with Sony Electronics...... It will shorten the life dramatically. It does not matter what type of tv or brand. Like others have said, electronics do not like heat, which is why they have heat-sinks and fans.

If you want to cook your Plasma - go right ahead. Not sure what you paid for it - but mine didn't last 2 years before the heat killed the gases in the screen. That money is gone forever.

I will never own another plasma TV. Going LCD next. My projection wide screen has stood the test of time.

Plasma's give off a ton of heat and are more heat sensitive then other electronics.

Woodstove and Plasma = cooked TV for sure. Kiss it goodbye in a short time.

Is there a small cooling fan for these TV's that could be added? would make sense in a hot dry room.

Mine is over the fireplace. Large mantel to deflect heat. The ceiling fan is going all the time. I put a thermometer by it and it never got over 93. I think the ash dust would be more of a problem... I am not worried as others have said...its not overly warm...

i have 47 inch lcd 10 ft from stove all is fine these days by the time i need a new one it will only cost $50 to $100 to replace. seems every time i go to best buy or somewhere tvs get cheeper and cheeper. i dont really let house get over 80 house gets to that in summer. i wouldn't sweet it. plasma really only last about 2 yrs anyhow don't believe what they tell u in the store. plasma also run hotter to begin with stick with lcd.

How do you define the word 'near'? That is the key. Also, are you talking about having the plasma to the side of your stove or above it or facing it? That makes a big difference. As other posters have stated, heat will shorten its lifespan. I'd also be concerned about direct radiation frying the screen. You have to remember that these are now just big garbage screens pumped out en-masse in Korea and China. They'll be happy to sell you a new one in a few years.

80 or 90 in your stove room? For real? When I hit the mid 70's I feel like I am going to pass out.

I have a 54" plasma on my 'to do' list for the living room, but I am maybe 5-6 feet away and parallel to the stove which is mostly protected by my hearth. I'm not too concerned.

I would put a thermo where you plan to have the tv and see what kind of temps you see. Also, check the line of sight to see if you are going to get any direct radiation off of the stove.

burntime said:
Mine is over the fireplace. Large mantel to deflect heat. The ceiling fan is going all the time. I put a thermometer by it and it never got over 93. I think the ash dust would be more of a problem... I am not worried as others have said...its not overly warm...
The dust can indeed be an issue, especially depending on the stove design and operating practices. We used to get a fair amount of very fine dust in the room with our old stove, which was a top loader. Now that we switched to a side loading stove this year, we've noticed a dramatic reduction in the dust in that room.

Hmmm- dust is certianly a concern here, especially when dumping hot ash into the bucket.As far as distance is concerned I'm pretty comfortable with what I've cobbled up. I figure if things get too hot I can place a peice of sheetrock at the side of the TV to sheild it from the stove heat...............

Attachments

• TV.jpg
    TV.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 2,872
A work in progress. The last cabinet/desk I had there was too wide so I had to place the subwoofer in another spot in the room but apparently I'll be able to bring it back in the area of the TV no that this new table is narrower. Like I say- it's a work in progress..............

Ive heard this stuff about hot plasmas for while now. Maye the old ones got hot but i just bought a 42 1080 panisonic plasma with the new neo panel. The tv is not even warm to the touch and uses less power than my old cathode ray (tube) tv. New tvs plasma and lcd have come a long way. My tvs have always been about 6ft away. edit my neo panel claims 100000 hrs life thats almost 11.5 years and i set mine at half contrast and not a bright as it goes except maybe for a rented movie then i set it back.

I have a 42" Toshiba LCD on a table less than 60" from my Jotul Oslo. I had it closer but it occasionally shut down - themal circuit breaker I suppose. The temperature at the closest point to the stove probably never gets above 80 deg. F, and is usually more like 75. This is due to the path of the thermal currents created by the stove and, I suppose, the tv itself.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.