Phase change mats in a chase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lsucet

Minister of Fire
May 14, 2015
San Ysidro, New Mexico
(Fireplace tearout and rebuild moved to new thread)
I did the same thing with mine this month. i ripped everything and reframe it, insulated, put some phase change material on top of the insulation for some thermal mass and sheetrocked. the chimney was only 7x11 and did not let me run a insulated liner plus was to much hassle. i move the new install to a corner. I also did the whole ceiling in that room and incorporated more of the phase change material in some areas.

Attachments

• IMG_20170820_192727296.jpg
    IMG_20170820_192727296.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20170821_113902360_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170821_113902360_HDR.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20170813_164443766.jpg
    IMG_20170813_164443766.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited by a moderator:
I did the same thing with mine this month. i ripped everything and reframe it, insulated, put some phase change material on top of the insulation for some thermal mass and sheetrocked. the chimney was only 7x11 and did not let me run a insulated liner plus was to much hassle. i move the new install to a corner. I also did the whole ceiling in that room and incorporated more of the phase change material in some areas.

Cool idea on the phase change mats. What is the melting point?

Did you consult with the company to determine the best product for your application? How much does the stuff cost? Do you have a domestic supplier?

Apologies for all the questions but this looks like fascinating stuff.

well when i contact the main place in NC, they give me the number of the supplier for my area. He is in California and i am in New Mexico. I talked with him and explained the way i am heating the house and how i was thinking on use their product in the area that i am remodeling and that another wood stove is going to be install.. We went over some details and he recommend the 72 melting point for that area based that it will be close to the stove and it will be easy to make it change phase. he also mentioned that after i finish i can see what is the temperature in other areas of the house and if i want to retrofit those areas we can go with different melting point. he also said that the ideal is the whole house like they do on new constructions but it is not necessary. he recommend that is better install it on roof/ceiling than in walls. they can match any melting point that you need, you just need to order it and will takes some weeks to get it from the factory.

www.phasechange.com

There is lot of info in their website plus videos on youtube of seminars by the company. they are from AU. but they have a good market here for what i can see. I don't know if it will work or not but it doesn't hurt. Read the website and you can get info about durability, degradation, in case of fire etc.
Apparently the product will out live me. lol

Last edited:
about the price, I calculate a whole wall of 14'x8 and if i remember correctly was about/around $350.00. I know he told me that i will need two boxes to cover that area and i will have some extras cause they pack so many for boxes. What i got was more than the calculation above. Is like 2 dollars and change for sq ft.

about the price, I calculate a whole wall of 14'x8 and if i remember correctly was about/around $350.00. I know he told me that i will need two boxes to cover that area and i will have some extras cause they pack so many for boxes. What i got was more than the calculation above. Is like 2 dollars and change for sq ft.

Thanks for all the info. My corner stove install has two 15' tall x 8' long walls. They are 2" x 6" interior load bearing walls with no insulation inside. I've dreamed of replacing them with 6" concrete walls as thermal mass around the stove. But it would be even better to fill them with phase change material. Unfortunately, I just did a bunch of work patching sheetrock and painting so I'm in no mood to tear it all out.

I feel your pain. Note that is better to install it between the insulation and drywall. I was looking into the same. But concrete for me is to heavy, then I look into brick veneer an so on and then I found this product and start reading for almost a week or so, contact them few times for questions and when I was ready I call the guy in Cali, we talked more and we closed the deal.lol.

How do you make a plenum-rated product when your product is plastic bags of vegetable oil?

That stuff looks like a great idea, but I would worry about it in a fire....

Read their site and you will see how is test it and all the information about it including your worries.

Is been tested it by the government in a rigorous way with life span of 100 years without loss in performance. Test it in lab for fire situation, simulating the average cycle of phase change for 60 years or more. It is interested. If is truth, who knows. I was sold on it and got it. That's it.lol

How do you make a plenum-rated product when your product is plastic bags of vegetable oil?

That stuff looks like a great idea, but I would worry about it in a fire....

It looks like they did their homework:

ENRG Blanket is available in multiple flame spread rate classes to meet the requirements of the ASTM E84, UL 723 and ASTM E800-0.
• Plenum: Flame Spread 0-25; smoke-developed 0-50
• Class A: Flame Spread 0-25; smoke-developed 0-450
• Class C: Flame Spread 76-200; smoke-developed 0-450