Picked up a hoist

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
It wasn't used for logs, but that's what I'm going to use it for. I'm thinking of putting it on the front of one of my trailers, or maybe on the side. It needs some tlc and paint, but it does work and it swivels real nice too. The only tag says M&E with a number. The previous owner said it was used by standard oil for putting in gas pumps and he made the rolling base for it so he could move stock car frames for welding.

The extension is stuck, so we will have to break that loose. I could put a hydraulic pump or an electric winch on it. I do have a belt drive hydraulic pump I can put on my truck, so an aux connection at the rear bumper wouldn't be too hard. I have an electric winch too though...

The hoist is a bit taller than I need, but that would come in handy for moving large items. I can cut it down if needed.

I could mount it on the truck, but I think it would be better on a trailer.

What do you guys think?

E5245492-5910-4CF6-966D-6D4517562BE0.jpeg 3A4BEF19-D63C-4F32-BB1A-A689DD458F33.jpeg 9DDACB9F-DB93-4F68-A2F4-5BB4D4E2F8F6.jpeg E66688DF-FD27-46FC-B35D-D81C7095BD15.jpeg

Nice! Do note that a 12V winch won't run off your truck directly, unless it's a super tiny thing. You'll usualy want a local battery mounted on the trailer, then a charging circuit to control how hard it hits the connection back to the truck. eTrailer has a million options for this, I'm personally using the BOSS system designed for dump trailers, for my trailer winch.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
Depending on the material lifting you'll need stabilizers on the trailer. I'm actually trying to convince my son to buy a large open trailer to install a small crane on the front to load wrecked motorcycles.

Looks like a monster! ,,,though I guess you can always cut down what you don't need - and cutting down is way easier than building back!

That tag strikes me as an old railroad 'asset tag', M&E, so possibly it was on the Morristown & Erie at one point in history. If you can get that off in good condition, and find the right collector, you might be able to sell it recover some of the cost of the crane.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
I have not had any leads on the tag, but I did pick up a 10 ton set of running gear. I might put the hoist on that and then I can haul the mail.