Pics of ATV /woods & logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Got another permit.
Would like to get 3 more cords & be 3 years ahead.
Cold, 28° but getting warmer. Sunny day.
Skidding logs to the truck, trail frozen, some snow:
100_8167.JPG 100_8176.JPG

Hooking up to the ATV in the woods:
100_8171.JPG 100_8175.JPG

Bucking & loading:
100_8178.JPG

Nice looking haul again Boggy!! Every morning when I come to the forum and see you are still out having fun it makes me wanna go cutting so bad......Once the corn is off here its game on and I will finally be able to share my first scrounge score....

You give us a taste of what alaska is all about, and how you can't underestimate the winters and always be prepared. Love the pics every few days. Good inspiration! Be well

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Man those are some monster Birch! I see nothing around here that even gets close to those, they all seem to get about 6" in dia. and fall over.

Nice work, Wish it was me up there...

Nice looking haul again Boggy!! Every morning when I come to the forum and see you are still out having fun it makes me wanna go cutting so bad......Once the corn is off here its game on and I will finally be able to share my first scrounge score....

Felt the same way all summer when I'd see others scoring big time & their stacks growing. The stored up motivation got me started after the leaves fell :)

TJ:
Slow, meticulous & steady.

Nice work what a team we would make if we were neighbors,love pulling whole logs out of the woods with a tow strap and atv.

Would live to have a partner, I think it would be 3 to 4 times faster. Might be able to get 2 - 10 cord permits filled :)
When I need a break I sit on the ATV in the woods & enjoy the quiet.
I'm getting better at falling the tree the direction I want it to go.

Man those are some monster Birch! I see nothing around here that even gets close to those, they all seem to get about 6" in dia. and fall over.
Nice work, Wish it was me up there...

I've had 2 that were solid over 20", very rare, 12" to 16" at the base seems to be average. There are some old big ones there, but hollow in the middle & rotten tops. I stay clear of those.
The cutting area is virgin timber. Never been cut. Lots of logs on the ground decaying & feeding the live trees.
Finding a drivable path, then making a trail to get to the good trees is part of the time. Average about 6 hours for little over 1/2 a cord load.

Was 16° last night, 20° now, clear & sun just coming up . Headed out to try to get another load.
Have to dress warm until I start working; then with some solar heat & work BTUs, I shed down to a sweat shirt.

Good work keep cutting.

Did you buy that winch/contraption on the back of the quad or make that Dave?

It's great to be able to use ATV and truck. I have to buck logs in the field and truck them in my modified wheelbarrow from as far as 1/2 mile. Good thing is it's downhill with the loads. I'll post some pics soon.

Looks nice Dave. Makes me wish it was December and I was out cutting. It won't be long now.

Looks nice Dave. Makes me wish it was December and I was out cutting. It won't be long now.

this weekend will be the first big cut in a long time...have 5 cords worth of oak in the yard that two of us will c/s/s, should be a full day from 9-4:30 with a quick half hour for lunch, might even forgo the beer til after the work is done to maintain productivity.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice job Dave. Is is split and stacked yet? Lol.......
Its still deer season here so no wooding cutting for a bit. I do have some big dead ash trees ( counted over 40 trees) to get this winter from some property I hunt on. Need to make one of those skidders that Dennis uses and buy a cant hook to pull them out with the 4 wheeler as well. ;)

Nice job Dave. Is is split and stacked yet? Lol.......
Its still deer season here so no wooding cutting for a bit. I do have some big dead ash trees ( counted over 40 trees) to get this winter from some property I hunt on. Need to make one of those skidders that Dennis uses and buy a cant hook to pull them out with the 4 wheeler as well. ;)

Come on over and borrow it if you wish.

Love seeing your pics on here, Dave. Nice haul......

I'm jealous of your weather. I cannot WAIT for winter......my favorite time of the year, hands down...

No problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.