Pics of My Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrounger

Feb 13, 2007
Rockford, MI
Here are a few pics of the wood shed I built this summer. It was all recycled lumber. None of the lumber is treated. The eight vertical 4x4's are sitting on a patio block with a piece of shingle between the 4x4 and patio block. I used 2x4's horizontally around the perimeter to hang the siding. The siding was recycled cedar fence. The roof is 2x4's with 4 sheets of plywood nailed down. Then covered with silver metal barn siding. Siding was from a scrap yard. Has nail holes in it from being previously used, but I just used the same holes to nail it down. Size wise the roof is full 4 sheets of 4'x8' plywood which makes it 8'x16'. Inside height is about 6.5 feet at rear and 8 feet in the front. Put pallets on the ground inside to keep wood off the ground. The plywood and 4x4's were from a shipping container for a large printing press that a company had sitting in the back to throw away. My only investment was for a box of framing nails. Designed the 'removable' door on the right to make filling shed easier. My wood dries out back in rows, this is for winter storage only.

Luke

Edit----Oops I think this is in the wrong forum.....

Attachments

• MVC-233F.JPG
    MVC-233F.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,468
  • MVC-234F.JPG
    MVC-234F.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,392
  • MVC-235F.JPG
    MVC-235F.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,380
Nice, but much to fancy for most of us. We just throw down pallets, stack the wood and use a tarp.

Also, I would think you would want a nice, easy and convenient way to open the shed up when you go out and get a load. That does not seem possible right now.

Carpniels

Last year my wood pile was in the same spot as the shed, but no shed. I had to fight the metal siding that was covering the wood. Snow down my back. That got old. The last photo shows the shed all buttoned up. The white metal siding on the left, I plan on just sliding that to the side and grabbing wood to fill the wood rack, then sliding the metal siding back into place. The siding just sits there, no door track or anything like that. I have a wood rack right inside the basement door to stack wood on. The rack is about 4 feet long and 4 feet high. I don't plan on going out for wood maybe every 3 or 4 days. Thanks for the fancy comment, I tried to make it look the best I could since it sits right out the back of the house.

Luke

Looks perfectly rustic and woodsy best of all functional. I love it! Thanks for sharing.

excellent job, and good looking ,too.

It looks just like the big brother of the shed that I have 3/4 finished and had to stop work on, because of 4 days rain.

Yea, all my rounds got wet but my splits are all under cover in the old 30 ft trailer with the wobbly wheels i bought for 350.oo delevered as my wood shed.

The 8' x8' shed i am building now is for to lock up my new
22 ton huskee log splitter in.

I cant get /buy the splitter until the lock up shed is completed as without being locked in the shed, the splitter would disappear overnite, never to be seen again.

neighborhoods really s-ck, so do sucm bag neighbors. they steal anything not welded down.

It's a shame when you have to install a intruder alert alarm system on a locked tool shed.

I think a fair portion of the blame lies with the city for raising proprty taxes so high that some people have to
steal from their neighbors , to get by.

They taxed me right out of my comfortable but costly oil burner and into a wood stove so i could use the oil money to pay the property taxes with.

They didnt even raise the tax rate , they just trippled the assement of what-- "they think"-- my house
"should be"--- taxed on and if my income couldnt cover it, I could just go sell out & rent.

They actually told me that, right to my face, when I went to complain at city hall about the tripple assement.

what money hungery bastards demoncrap politicians are.never meet a tax they didnt want 2 raise.

well, it dark out now & no one can see the chimney, 47 deg ,so it should be safe to go down the basement and lite off my dragon smoker 1/4 plate steel extra large rust bucket with a small hot splits fire and a fairly open air intake. not smoke very much, or for long, that way with a small 550 deg fire.

Scrounger, really nice looking woodshed. I think you will love this winter.

Eernest4, I agree. We have caught the taxachusettes disease.

Hey that is a nice design!
I am a first poster here so bear with me. :p
I decided earlier this fall I wanted a wood shed. We get lots of snow here in Northeastern Iowa, and I am so sick of tarps!
I live on a lake, and I am fortunate to have standing (de-barked) trees close by. So it was a no-brainer to go with the rustic Log Wood shed design. Did I mention I am CHEAP?

It measurs 16X8. It is 7ft high in the front and 5ft high in the back. It sits on sidewalk slabs that I reclaimed. I used 2x6's that I saved from tearing out my ceiling in my cabin house. The rafters are made out of 2x4 treated lumber that was left by the previous owners. The ceiling is made out of 3x10 sheets of green tin that I obtained from the salvage yard for free.

I did spend some money on it. I used Red Oak slab wood for the siding, but I got a heck of a deal on it! It cost $50 for 200 lineal feet. I also spent about $60 on all the Oil based sealer I put on it.
I think it looks great!

Attachments

• IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 1,307
  • IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,369
  • IMG_0805.JPG
    IMG_0805.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,336
Nice sheds guys. Any idea how much wood both will hold??. Do you stack your wood in rows or just split and stack in the sheds??. I've never had a woodshed but i'm curious if there is enough air flow for drying the wood.

woodconvert and Erik,

The roof on mine is 8' x 16'. The walls are inside of that so I lost roughtly a foot all the way around, this makes it about 6' x 14' of useable space inside. The height is about 6' at the rear and 8' in the front. For easy math I just figure an overall height of 6'. A cord is 4'x4'x8' which equals 128 cubic feet. The size of my shed is 6'x14'x6' which is 504 cubic feet. This gets me 4 cords in there.

I stack my wood in rows to dry out back, this shed is for winter storage only. My goal was/is to get a few years ahead on wood supply. I didn't want to build a shack big enough to hold three years of wood for drying purposes so I just put it in rows out back. I knew up front I would be moving wood up to the house for the winters burning supply so just designed my shed for storage only. A couple of my rows can be seen here on this thread:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/10091/

Luke

I have no idea how much wood it will hold! I am hoping that it will hold a seasons worth.
As far as drying, look at the pics of the log shed. I have left a bottom opening to facilitate air movement. That along with gaps in the siding should allow air to flow freely. I must also note that the front faces south...for better sun exposure.

Scrounger

Nice free wood at the link. Here in Michigan, at least where i'm at, it's common for tree companies to deliver you wood for free while they are on their way home at the end of the day. They end up with so much they just burn it in a big heap. Last year I caught a tree service at the right time (they were cutting a few large locust trees in a subdivision). Knowing they were just going to waste it I asked if I could buy it off them. They said hell, you can have as much as you can fit on your truck. I loaded er up. He also said he'd bring me all the ash and elm I wanted for nothing!!!. (Ash and elm around here are being killed off by cooties at an alarming rate...but it burns good and it's priced right).

Status
Not open for further replies.