Pine mountain...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
My neighbor works for a tree service. Whatever wood they haul away ends up at his place. He burns all the hardwood. The pine is unceremoniously pitched over the hill...

So basically, I have a lifetime supply of white pine... if I can get up the nerve to ask for it. Yankees don't burn pine. I feel so ashamed :blank: He seems to take it as bible you can't burn the stuff... and of course, why bother when there's plenty of oak handy. What's a boy to do!

Attachments

• IMG_0240c.jpg
    IMG_0240c.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 513
How big is your fire box? I know what mine would be filled with other than when it is super cold or I was going to be away from the house for a while.

SolarAndWood said:
How big is your fire box? I know what mine would be filled with other than when it is super cold or I was going to be away from the house for a while.

I have a VC Encore. It's a bit overkill for the space I heat as it is. Firebox is listed at 2.1 cubic feet.

dup

I would be all over the pine. Be careful of over firing the stove. May not be an issue with your Encore, but I warped two of them in a pretty short period of time and the pine will burn hot.

SolarAndWood said:
I would be all over the pine. Be careful of over firing the stove. May not be an issue with your Encore, but I warped two of them in a pretty short period of time and the pine will burn hot.

I'm new to this stove, and I've been keeping the firebox pretty lightly filled for my breakin fires, and I have seen the temps climb for pretty small loads, so I'm taking it slowly.

I'd take all the pine I could get. Sure, I'd pick oak instead of pine if I had to choose, but I'd settle for free pine. Easy to process, seasons quickly, burns hot - what's not to like?

your neighbors a moron and losing money. goto reno or sacremento craigslist and see what pine is going for. he can sell it for less than hardwood and still make money. he has already been paid to fell the tree etc. Take it off his hands for no charge. Split it and go into business!

Seasoned pine burns just fine!

Pine might not burn as long as hardwood, but it dang well burns as hot or hotter for a minute or two. Pine is fine, oak is better, free is the best!

keydiver said:
your neighbors a moron and losing money. goto reno or sacremento craigslist and see what pine is going for. he can sell it for less than hardwood and still make money. he has already been paid to fell the tree etc. Take it off his hands for no charge. Split it and go into business!

Pine is $200/cord in my neck of the woods (which isn't the woods at all)

heffergm said:
My neighbor works for a tree service. Whatever wood they haul away ends up at his place. He burns all the hardwood. The pine is unceremoniously pitched over the hill...

So basically, I have a lifetime supply of white pine... if I can get up the nerve to ask for it. Yankees don't burn pine. I feel so ashamed :blank: He seems to take it as bible you can't burn the stuff... and of course, why bother when there's plenty of oak handy. What's a boy to do!

Tell him to cut it in 18" rounds and throw it in your yard.

Bigg_Redd said:
heffergm said:

Tell him to cut it in 18" rounds and throw it in your yard.

I think that's what I'll do!

(So basically, I have a lifetime supply of white pine… if I can get up the nerve to ask for it. Yankees don’t burn pine. I feel so ashamed)

So who started the story that you can't burn pine? There is a small community in upper mid state Michigan where I have gone salmon fishing a number of years. The smell of pine smoke is in the air every year I go. The community is still there after 9 years. It didn't burn down and the people didn't freeze to death. They just went to the wood shed more often. Yankees are Americans and we're Americans because we didn't fit into a mold. Just be sure the ones selling hardwood aren't the ones telling the stories and dictating the prices. Just because you save a buck doesn't mean you have to tell everyone. Once the state finds out that people are pilfering their pile of trash they will put up "no-trespassing" signs to keep you safe.

Cave2k said:
(So basically, I have a lifetime supply of white pine… if I can get up the nerve to ask for it. Yankees don’t burn pine. I feel so ashamed)

So who started the story that you can't burn pine? There is a small community in upper mid state Michigan where I have gone salmon fishing a number of years. The smell of pine smoke is in the air every year I go. The community is still there after 9 years. It didn't burn down and the people didn't freeze to death. They just went to the wood shed more often. Yankees are Americans and we're Americans because we didn't fit into a mold. Just be sure the ones selling hardwood aren't the ones telling the stories and dictating the prices. Just because you save a buck doesn't mean you have to tell everyone. Once the state finds out that people are pilfering their pile of trash they will put up "no-trespassing" signs to keep you safe.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek... I think people basically burn the best of what's available, and in the northeast that's hardwood. There just isn't any need to bother with sappy pine. I hated cutting the stuff as a kid, but I'll certainly burn it now if I can get a constant supply for free!

3 or 4 splits goes into the bottom of every reload in our stove. Makes everything better. I processed 2 cords this year but will likely do more in future years as it is readily available and dries so quickly. Combine it with some nice big dry pieces of hardwood for extended burns and you are all set.

I love pine for getting a fire going. I've learned that it's not so great for coaling or overnight burns. But for the time your tending to stove, it works just fine. I'd ask him for the wood. If he starts lecturing you, tell him you'll use it as kindling. My Standby story when scrounging pine: "Oh, I'm using this in my fire pit." I never lecture someone giving me free firewood.

keydiver said:
your neighbors a moron and losing money. goto reno or sacremento craigslist and see what pine is going for.

Good idea- now we just need to get it shipped from the South Showah to Reno or Sacremento.

It only has value if you're selling it at a campground here. This guy would be doing his neighbor a favor taking it off his hands. If I had all the free hardwood I could handle dropped at my door- I'd chuck the pine too.

If the neighbor gives you crap when you ask- tell him that out west they don't have hardwood and they get along fine with just pine/fir.

keydiver said:

Around here people pay to get rid of pine. I am not kidding, there is NO market for pine firewood in New England. That is why I get it delivered to my house for free, becuase it saves someone the dump fee.

Heffrgm; Take advantage of a good situation, and don't be embarrased, it is your neibor who is ignorant, not you. Oak is a conveinence, plenty of people from much colder climes than Mass heat with softwoods only. Start splitting and stacking that pine, get it good and dry and burn it and thank your good fortune.

I have a pine pit just like that.
If I could sell or even give pine away I wouldn't dump it.
Even the campgrounds don't want it, they've got enough.

Nine cords of two and three year split/stacked/dried hardwood sitting behind the house. But the wood that kept the joint warm from October through this morning? All pine and a little of that other evil wood Poplar. Wood burning in the stove right now? Pine.

Oh, and the monthly liner inspection was yesterday. Looking fine with that pine.

Man I would be all over that stuff. FREE HEAT! Have burned pine for 40 some years and never had any problems, out west mostley what we have is pine,spruce or aspen in the high mountains of CO.

Pine is also a comon fuel. Scandanavia, Canada,
Alaska, and the western USA, at least have a high
ratio of pine forests.

Companies like Jotul, Morso and others design
their stoves for it. Do not turn down pine. Just
adjust your wood heating methods to suit it's use.

kenny chaos said:
Ask him how much he'll pay for you to clean it up.

Winner !winner! Chicken dinner!

That's a really good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.