Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYLife

Burning Hunk
Sep 3, 2012
Mohegan Lake NY
Do any of you burn pine.? I was told that it causes too much creosote is it good for anything

Pine burns very well. Its just like any other wood, needs to be seasoned. The pine sap is just a myth.

Pine, properly seasoned, is your friend.

Embrace it. Get as much as you can. Burn it keeping in mind that it's going to get HOT, fast sometimes.

It will get you through shoulder season, and help you burn marginal firewood.

It's all that the guys out west have to burn, usually.

Creosote is caused by less than ideal firewood, nothing more, nothing less.

Oh, and it also causes a multitude of ailments, conditions............. I am sure it's about to begin ;) ( get ready for extreme sarcasm !!)

Pine, properly seasoned, is your friend.

Embrace it. Get as much as you can. Burn it keeping in mind that it's going to get HOT, fast sometimes.

It will get you through shoulder season, and help you burn marginal firewood.

It's all that the guys out west have to burn, usually.

Creosote is caused by less than ideal firewood, nothing more, nothing less.

Oh, and it also causes a multitude of ailments, conditions............. I am sure it's about to begin ;) ( get ready for extreme sarcasm !!)
Thanks , good to know because I can get plenty of pine

Thanks , good to know because I can get plenty of pine

Yes get what you can and let it season for awhile and it should do fine. It burns fast and hot. In mid-winter I mix what I have with some oak and it seems to work well. Nearly everyone around me still believes the pine myth - even my wife. So I just don't tell her what I burn!

Reactions: NYLife
Pine is Fine.

Thats a common North East myth, where hardwoods are very readily available.

What happens most time, is someone has burned lots of wet wood (Oak that has not seasoned for the 2-3 yrs) and they burn it within a month or two of cutting. The moisture cools the gases in the flue and condenses out in the form of creosote. Then, they follow up with a few splits of Pine, (which seasons much quicker than Oak) and the stove/chimney gets hot enough (because your burning good seasoned wood) to ignite the creosote.

Look at the Pacific Northwest and Canada. Almost all Pine, Spuce, Doug Fir up there. Its colder in Canada than here in the states. You know there burning wood up there? Right?

Let it season properly. And it will be as good as any other wood (well, to burn. Not length of burn). Oak takes a FULL 2-3 yrs to properly season and get below 20% moisture content. Most other woods are only 1 yr Cut/Split/Stacked. Wood does not start drying/seasoning till its split. Cutting wood now for burning season is what most do around me. And the smoke pouring from there chimney proves that (even with a modern EPA unit).

Welcome to the Forums. Get all the Oine you can. Makes for a great shoulder season wood. Something for a quick fire, when only a short fire is needed.

Pine is Fine.

Thats a common North East myth, where hardwoods are very readily available.

What happens most time, is someone has burned lots of wet wood (Oak that has not seasoned for the 2-3 yrs) and they burn it within a month or two of cutting. The moisture cools the gases in the flue and condenses out in the form of creosote. Then, they follow up with a few splits of Pine, (which seasons much quicker than Oak) and the stove/chimney gets hot enough (because your burning good seasoned wood) to ignite the creosote.

Look at the Pacific Northwest and Canada. Almost all Pine, Spuce, Doug Fir up there. Its colder in Canada than here in the states. You know there burning wood up there? Right?

Let it season properly. And it will be as good as any other wood (well, to burn. Not length of burn). Oak takes a FULL 2-3 yrs to properly season and get below 20% moisture content. Most other woods are only 1 yr Cut/Split/Stacked. Wood does not start drying/seasoning till its split. Cutting wood now for burning season is what most do around me. And the smoke pouring from there chimney proves that (even with a modern EPA unit).

Welcome to the Forums. Get all the Oine you can. Makes for a great shoulder season wood. Something for a quick fire, when only a short fire is needed.
Thanks Dex

Pine is great . . . especially for burning in the shoulder season or using as kindling . . . as mentioned . . .just be sure to season it like any other wood . . . unseasoned wood and burning the stove at too low a temp or with not enough oxygen (smothering the fire) is what causes the bulk of creosote.

yes

I burn mostly pine

I've been burning pine for shoulder season fires for the past 2-3 years. Last season was about 1/3 cord. This season will be about 2x that.
Get it dry, just like any other wood, then burn it.
I don't fill the stove with it, or I'd have to make a trip to the moon to retrieve the stove.;) YMMV

As said above, pine is fine. Not as long lasting in the burn, or once c/s/s for that matter as it will weather and deteriorate. But is burns pretty hot (and fast) so I find it very good for shoulder season burning, when you want a quick fire to take the chill off, revive a slow burn in the morning, etc. The biggest issue I find with pine is in a campfire setting, where the sap can pop and send embers flying.

i've got about a cord of pine for this fall. i split it in the spring and let it dry all summer and its burning clean and hot. in fact...i'm gonna bring about 1/2 cord into the basement to burn until it starts getting cold, then i'll shift to to hardwood.

Reactions: PapaDave
i had some old pine that the centers were a bit punky, or so i thought. i think it was just the pitch settling down toward the base of the tree. seemed to have quite a bit of pitch content in the centers and it broke apart easy but kept its integrity....so, i put it aside for starter. works pretty well.
the rest of it burns fine...just let it season like others have mentioned.
cass

Just started a pine fire after being over my brother's for a few hours. Put in 2 small and one medium splits with 3 small pieces of kindling and one of my firestarters.
Stove is about 450, and has been for about 1/2 hour, and I expect it'll burn for another hour or so.
House temp was 64 when I got home and it's now 68.
The pine is doing it's job.:cool:

i was straighned out too. I now have a bit of it to burn this year. I did not cut as much as i should have cause i was to busy getting oak. But the pine i bucked and split this spring is now 20% or below MC i wish i would of got about a cord of the stuff!!

I burnt pine till I had to wear glasses I quit just before I went Blind.

i was straighned out too. I now have a bit of it to burn this year. I did not cut as much as i should have cause i was to busy getting oak. But the pine i bucked and split this spring is now 20% or below MC i wish i would of got about a cord of the stuff!!
I'm glad to hear that it seasons faster then other woods I have 8 pine trees that I split and they were are 4 to 5 stories high and it came out to about 8 cords of pine only so do u think I should burn pine when it gets really cold

Status
Not open for further replies.