Plate seams on Jotul....should I be concerned?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That is definitely not right. Like all have said, you would not see a light through that big of a hole. Jotul in my experience is a very pro customer support Mfr, although it takes time and the dealer pulling with you. I think once the right people see those pix, a new stove will be gotten. Good luck, please give them a chance to make it right for you, they've been here a long time, they aren't going anywhere.

More confirmation here that this stove is defective, broken or not assembled correctly.
I completely rebuilt an Oslo and as others have said it is T&G construction with no such gaps possible even without stove cement.
If you fill that gap with cement it will eventually crack and fall out, that's not an acceptable fix. Good luck getting the stove replaced.

More confirmation here that this stove is defective, broken or not assembled correctly.
I completely rebuilt an Oslo and as others have said it is T&G construction with no such gaps possible even without stove cement.
If you fill that gap with cement it will eventually crack and fall out, that's not an acceptable fix. Good luck getting the stove replaced.
Hey Toploader - That should be super helpful to the OP! I've never seen one without the stove cement, but you have!

Here is a picture of the base you can see the grove that the sides drop into:

Attachments

• DSCN0843.jpg
    DSCN0843.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 300
Reactions: Ashful
Sure doesn't look that way to me from those pictures. I'd try to get my money back.
Yeah, you gotta wonder what happened, here. I'd be willing to bet someone at Jotul will want to have a look at this one, it's not characteristic of the brand

I have found Jotul non-cats to be pretty finicky and demand well seasoned wood, more so than other stoves I’ve had. They are beautiful, solid stoves, just not as easy to run in my experience.
Our Castine was a very simple stove to operate. The whole family ran the stove. With proper draft and good wood it's an easy stove to run.

Our Castine was a very simple stove to operate. The whole family ran the stove. With proper draft and good wood it's an easy stove to run.
Glad you had a good experience. I enjoyed mine, as you know I’ve purchased a couple new and several used Jotuls. I have had chimney’s that weren’t very tall and don’t always have perfect wood. Some other brands have given me more flexibility, which is important to me.

Yes, even with a 20' flue on a 50º day the shallow F400 firebox would spill a little smoke when opening that big wide door. At 45º that went away. For some setups an easy breathing stove is best. The Alderlea doesn't spill any smoke even with a fire start at 55º. A friend has a Summit on a short chimney with a couple 90's in the flue path and it does quite well. This is their sole source of heat so they are running it even during milder weather.

The casting all bolt together tightly, the cement ensures that it’s an airtight seal. This stove is not assembled correctly, do not settle for anything other than a replacement.

Good news! The dealer's office called me to today to inform me they are replacing the unit. Apparently they were contacted by Jotul and asked to replace the unit. I did email the dealer couple of photos, but they originally suggested the furnace cement route. I then called and left voice messages with Jotul's tech support folks asking to at least weigh in with their opinion. They never called me back, but they must have contacted the dealer's office. I'm not sure if my photos were shared, but nonetheless a replacement unit is coming. Thanks to everyone and their insight on the question I had. I look forward to the re-install and using the unit later this season.

Good news! The dealer's office called me to today to inform me they are replacing the unit. Apparently they were contacted by Jotul and asked to replace the unit. I did email the dealer couple of photos, but they originally suggested the furnace cement route. I then called and left voice messages with Jotul's tech support folks asking to at least weigh in with their opinion. They never called me back, but they must have contacted the dealer's office. I'm not sure if my photos were shared, but nonetheless a replacement unit is coming. Thanks to everyone and their insight on the question I had. I look forward to the re-install and using the unit later this season.
Awesome! Very glad this one has a happy ending.

Thanks for the update. It's a great stove. I'm glad they are resolving the problem for you.

Persistent, but cool-headed persuasion almost always succeeds. I thought Jotul would make good on taking care of this issue. Smart wood stove companies monitor forums such as these... as most here know and realize. Good luck with your new "new" stove.

Reactions: Greenghopper
Good outcome, and this is why companies like Jotul stick around for as long as they do or have. It's hard as a customer to stay cool headed over something like this when the "professionals" try to tell you everything is fine, given the amount of money that goes into new stoves and installation.

So here is the new, re-installed unit. It looks as if Jotul packs in the seams and corners well. Pic of right and left panels of the new re-install. Last pic is of completed install. Looking forward to seasoning it this fall and good use this winter. Thanks again to everyone who chimed in their advice and insight....much appreciated!

IMG_20180830_115525.jpg IMG_20180830_115603.jpg IMG_20180830_120016.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Much better. That's a good looking hearth. A couple tips: if you are going to use the side door, place a small non-combustible pad on the floor on the left side of the hearth. There should be at least 16" of ember protection there. And regardless of temptation, don't open the ashpan door to start the fire. Good kindling or SuperCedars will make this completely unnecessary if the wood is dry.

Reactions: firefighterjake
So here is the new, re-installed unit. It looks as if Jotul packs in the seams and corners well. Pic of right and left panels of the new re-install. Last pic is of completed install. Looking forward to seasoning it this fall and good use this winter. Thanks again to everyone who chimed in their advice and insight....much appreciated!

View attachment 229202 View attachment 229203 View attachment 229204
What is the distance between the stove and the blinds?

I believe the installer said a minimum of 9 inches. I think it's around 14 or 16 or more. The blinds roll out which I plan to do when I have it going full blast.

Please treat any stove on any setting as if it could go full blast, when you’re not looking. Things fail, occasionally. The clearances are designed to account for this.

Please treat any stove on any setting as if it could go full blast, when you’re not looking. Things fail, occasionally. The clearances are designed to account for this.

No kidding. When I hear of folks who run theirs 24/7, I am amazed, but also frightened when I hear the "load up" for the evening before going to bed. I'm not sure what the stats are, but my OCD would certainly kick in.

No kidding. When I hear of folks who run theirs 24/7, I am amazed, but also frightened when I hear the "load up" for the evening before going to bed. I'm not sure what the stats are, but my OCD would certainly kick in.
What fails most frequently is often the operator. It's easy to get distracted when starting a big load of wood and come back to a very hot stove. Why I always try to have a timer with me if I walk away from the stove.

You will get used to trusting yourself with stove after you use it for a while. You’ll be loading up in no time.

What fails most frequently is often the operator. It's easy to get distracted when starting a big load of wood and come back to a very hot stove. Why I always try to have a timer with me if I walk away from the stove.

True ‘dat. Same here.

I thought the same way, when I started. I guess we probably all were, excepting the folks who grew up with their parents burning a stove in the house. Once you get things dialed in, burn several weekends all day, you’ll see a properly-maintained stove and chimney is really not that different than having an oil-fired boiler running automatically when you’re not there to watch it.

And you already used the right words (or acronym): OCD. You’re not the high risk demographic, it’s those who get lax with their maintenance and operation, who usually suffer for it. Of course, then there’s Poindexter...