Please recommend an inexpensive moisture meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreezon

Aug 7, 2009
Peoria, IL
Looked around a little. I have no idea what to get. I would like the really accurate $200 jobs, but something under $50 would be more realistic right now.

bang two pieces of firewood togather

dreezon said:
Looked around a little. I have no idea what to get. I would like the really accurate $200 jobs, but something under $50 would be more realistic right now.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT spend over 30.00 on one. You will regret it because in no time at all you won't need to be using it anymore. You will learn the art of banging 2 splits together and simply knowing. It is kinda like a mystical experience. (It also knocks of any hidden critters you don't really want in your house.)

perplexed said:
dreezon said:

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT spend over 30.00 on one. You will regret it because in no time at all you won't need to be using it anymore. You will learn the art of banging 2 splits together and simply knowing. It is kinda like a mystical experience. (It also knocks of any hidden critters you don't really want in your house.)

This is especially true since, in future years, I intend to have a least a year of curing time on all my wood anyway. I really only want it this year because I got a late start and am pushing the limits of what is reasonable to burn. Also some of the wood was very small diameter black locust that was cut down, debranched and pilled up in an open field over a year ago, so I have some hope that it will be ready sooner than the standard 1 year from when I cut and split it.

Also regarding the bang test and others like it (checking on the ends, color change etc.) I have gotten results that I know are inconsistent with the truth. I took some honey locust that was very damp when I split it and banged it together the same day, and it gave a sharp, sonorous crack. I've had other pieces that I am pretty sure are good and dry that sound much more like the dull thud you'd expect of a green piece.

Squiner said:
Werm said:
Harbor Freight has one for $13.00

That's the one I just ordered...should arrive at my house on the 10th.

I'll let you know how it works!

I've bought two of them, Not the most accurate, but we're not doing finish carpentry here! i gives a good reference point.

Status
Not open for further replies.